Storing Windshield and back glass

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Tim said.

The backglass is usually not a problem, I have several that have been leaning against the back of my garage for at least a decade. The windshield is one fragile piece, and that's the one that needs to be protected. 

Those big sheets of pink or blue foam board and a box. You can use two large pieces one front and one back, then cut smaller pieces and bubble wrap to fit behind the backside for support.

When I was growing up, my dad installed windows in cars.  We always had car glass stored here and there getting ready for jobs. 

For storage in the house, the shop, and in the back of the truck driving down the highway, glass was stored basically between padded dowels.  This is how the pros still store and transport them.  Picture something like this rack, but you don't need to get fancy.  Wood dowels covered with $2 pool noodles or cuttings off a garden hose are more than enough.

Sometimes the racks are mounted to the wall and glass stored horizontally and out of the way.  If you do store the class horizontal like that across the dowels, make sure to store it so the curve is oriented with the center of the glass is down (inside of the glass facing up).  Reason being, if its stored with the curve facing the other direction, its easier for the glass to slip off one side and break on the floor.

shopping

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have a couple of high density foam blocks with a slot in them. Two windshields been in work room for nearly 5 years no issue. I left the rubber strip on rear window and just have it against wally with a hood or something in front of it. Glass is pretty tough stuff actually.
You can see two windshields on the R.H. side on floor.

20200905_150227.jpg

Back