radiator fan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

164runner

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach1, medium blue, 351 C-6
fan on car now is a 5 blade 17 inch. some traffic lights in town are very long, temp gauge goes up some sitting soo long and with summer here it does not help. thinking about a flex a lite 6 blade or 7 blade. kind of like to stay with mechanical fan, has correct 351c thermostat, new 3 core radiator with stock shroud. what are you running?

update has 18 inch fan. hard to measure in car

update has 18 inch fan. hard to measure in car
 Stay away from any type of flex fan, especially from a junk yard or anything used. I've commented many times on how dangerous flex fans can be. I've seen the aftermath of them blowing up on test rigs and it ain't pretty. I personally would never trust them, new or used.

164 runner,

you did not state if you have an ac car or not.

ac cars and non ac cars use different diameter water pump pulleys and the ac pulley is smaller and turns faster.

I had this same issue with my 408 C (429 radiator and shroud) went to the local pick and pull and got a pulley for an ac car, (as i remember it was a 71 LTD w 400 engine and problem solved.  also using clutched fan.

you would also have to install shorter belt with the smaller pulley.

Boilermaster

164 runner,

you did not state if you have an ac car or not.

ac cars and non ac cars use different diameter water pump pulleys and the ac pulley is smaller and turns faster.

I had this same issue with my 408 C (429 radiator and shroud) went to the local pick and pull and got a pulley for an ac car, (as i remember it was a 71 LTD w 400 engine and problem solved.  also using clutched fan.

you would also have to install shorter belt with the smaller pulley.

Boilermaster
its ac car. I also have a 408c. have a spare 351c, check the pulley on that one

Back