Jump to content

Rear bumper bar 1972 mustang


Recommended Posts

Can someone tell me if my rear bar is genuine going by these numbers ? , my painter has scratched my bar and I’m looking at either rechroming or replacing with a aftermarket but obviously if mine is aftermarket I’m not going to spend the extra coin rechroming I’ll just replace with another aftermarket one .

has anyone used the aftermarket front and rear bars before are they any good do they fit well ? Does the chrome hold up ? 

8C043BE0-D192-4372-8235-E45230840B99.jpeg

5079FAA3-CBB4-42C5-B446-4A256957DC6E.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

From the numbers, I would say it is an original. I recently replaced a known aftermarket rear bumper with a known NOS one. It has similar date codes. Also the biggy is if you look at the end of the bumper, the amount of material drawn at the top edge, is considerably greater. For me, this was the main reason I switched to an NOS one. Here's a pic of the the end part I'm trying to describe. 1626 = aftermarket, 1640 = NOS. The fit is much better. Hope this helps.

IMG_1626.1.JPG

IMG_1640.1.JPG

Edited by Stanglover
  • Like 2

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Geoff says, I am pretty sure that the stampings you show are consistent with those of an original bumper.

I changed mine recently and it has the same type of stampings. I've stared at the date code stamping and I think the '2' after the date code is the stamping plant shift not the MY, I think the MY is the two digits after the '71M.'

Yours would be (IMO) 9/27/71, 2 rd shift, so if your car was an early-ish October '71 build 72 then likely original.

My car is an August of '70 build, so this bumper is likely original (8/19/70 3rd shift):

1864057281_BumperWriting1.thumb.JPG.393ecd86393063046caa0b5f5a16b787.JPG

641080697_BumperWriting2.thumb.JPG.6f1c4ca4666081487802333811be1074.JPG

Matt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mjlan said:

As Geoff says, I am pretty sure that the stampings you show are consistent with those of an original bumper.

I changed mine recently and it has the same type of stampings. I've stared at the date code stamping and I think the '2' after the date code is the stamping plant shift not the MY, I think the MY is the two digits after the '71M.'

Yours would be (IMO) 9/27/71, 2 rd shift, so if your car was an early-ish October '71 build 72 then likely original.

My car is an August of '70 build, so this bumper is likely original (8/19/70 3rd shift):

1864057281_BumperWriting1.thumb.JPG.393ecd86393063046caa0b5f5a16b787.JPG

641080697_BumperWriting2.thumb.JPG.6f1c4ca4666081487802333811be1074.JPG

Yes mine is a early 72 and going by my marti report September is correct 

 

20 hours ago, Stanglover said:

From the numbers, I would say it is an original. I recently replaced a known aftermarket rear bumper with a known NOS one. It has similar date codes. Also the biggy is if you look at the end of the bumper, the amount of material drawn at the top edge, is considerably greater. For me, this was the main reason I switched to an NOS one. Here's a pic of the the end part I'm trying to describe. 1626 = aftermarket, 1640 = NOS. The fit is much better. Hope this helps.

IMG_1626.1.JPG

IMG_1640.1.JPG

Mine is 100% original then as mine does not have the crazy gap the aftermarket gives you , wow makes you wonder how they can sell Them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because I’m sending my my rear bumper away to be rechromed I thought might as well do the front also , did not find any stamps like the rear but found these raised letters and numbers ? Are they original also anyone know  what they mean ? 

C9D4575D-FCBE-4918-B16F-1DD78BA22C64.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fangstang said:

Yes mine is a early 72 and going by my marti report September is correct 

 

Mine is 100% original then as mine does not have the crazy gap the aftermarket gives you , wow makes you wonder how they can sell Them

Yes indeed, typical aftermarket crap. Actually, I think that ugly gap could be reduced by adjusting the mounting brackets, but that should NOT be needed to be done in the first place. On your front bumper, I can't help there as I have the Urethane version. If the fit is otherwise good, re-chroming might be cheaper for you than shipping one in from the States.

Anybody want a good used aftermarket rear bumper????

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...