Add on Cruise Control

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 4V - C6
Blue with Blue interior
Just curious if anyone here has added cruise control to their Mustang. Im hoping to get mine out on the highway a bit more for some longer cruises, and cruise control would be nice to add, but would like something a little better looking than the old school 70's stuff since Id like to try and keep it at least a little hidden away. 

Back in the 70's, I had an aftermarket speed control on my Mach 1. It was the type that came with the 4 magnets you tied to the driveline and a sensor that mounted next to the driveline and picked up the magnets. I thought that was a BS way of doing it, so got a speed sensor for a '70 Mustang or Cougar from a wrecking yard (it mounts behind the speedometer, the speedo cable goes in one end and a short piece of cable comes out the other and connects to the speedometer), and wired the sensor wires into that. I then removed the ashtray from my console (didn't smoke so didn't need it) and put the control module under the ashtray door. Worked perfectly, was completely sanitary and no one saw it.

Steve

Speed sensor.jpg

Back in the 70's, I had an aftermarket speed control on my Mach 1. It was the type that came with the 4 magnets you tied to the driveline and a sensor that mounted next to the driveline and picked up the magnets. I thought that was a BS way of doing it, so got a speed sensor for a '70 Mustang or Cougar from a wrecking yard (it mounts behind the speedometer, the speedo cable goes in one end and a short piece of cable comes out the other and connects to the speedometer), and wired the sensor wires into that. I then removed the ashtray from my console (didn't smoke so didn't need it) and put the control module under the ashtray door. Worked perfectly, was completely sanitary and no one saw it.

Steve

View attachment 51818
Both the Dakota Digital and the Rostra units still use the magnets if you don't have a speed sensor output. I remember one add-on that used the distributor tach output or negative coil wire for a sensor, so it basically controlled engine speed and when the transmission shifted down when climbing a hill the vehicle speed dropped.

This speed sensor adapter that appears to fits between the transmission and speedometer cable should be a better solution.

Mustang Speedometer Sender 1983-1993 | CJ Pony Parts

A slick way would be to install a sensor on the transmission and then an electric speedometer drive unit, eliminating the speedometer cable and providing a sensor for the cruise control

SpeedBox™ Mechanical Cable Drive Converter (speedhut.com)

That's the same speed sensor I got for my AOD - the 19-tooth gear from the FMX fits just fine, too.

What's wrong with placing a brick on the skinny pedal?  Works for me!

Both the Dakota Digital and the Rostra units still use the magnets if you don't have a speed sensor output. I remember one add-on that used the distributor tach output or negative coil wire for a sensor, so it basically controlled engine speed and when the transmission shifted down when climbing a hill the vehicle speed dropped.

This speed sensor adapter that appears to fits between the transmission and speedometer cable should be a better solution.

Mustang Speedometer Sender 1983-1993 | CJ Pony Parts

A slick way would be to install a sensor on the transmission and then an electric speedometer drive unit, eliminating the speedometer cable and providing a sensor for the cruise control

SpeedBox™ Mechanical Cable Drive Converter (speedhut.com)
That speedhut piece is a pretty cool piece. I may definately look at that a bit later. I agree the magnets on the driveshaft doesnt seem idea so I may look into one of the factory pieces that goes in between the speedo and cable. And I think im going to go with one of the Rostra kits as they look pretty good and I think its what Dakota Digital uses. And I was planning on doing the same thing as previously mentioned and putting the buttons in the ash tray as I dont use it and would be a nice place to hide it. 

I installed one with the magnets on the driveshaft on my '72 back in the late '70s.  It has the controls built into a replacement turn signal stalk.  Looks like a Rostra piece but I recall it was a Sears labeled kit.  It has worked flawlessly to this day for me.  I like the idea of the speed sensor behind the dash, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back