1973 Door Hinge Repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Does anyone have a good source for rebuild parts for my 73 door hinges? I’m not looking for rebuilt hinges, just the kits to do so. I’ve done that on both of my prior Ford projects, but when searching tonight, I couldn’t find a complete kit. Maybe I have poor search skills?

The kits I found are imported. The pins are undersized and will leave your doors sagging by 1/2" or more. I ended up turning my pins on my lathe so I could get a good lapp fit. Wish I had better news for Ya :-( 

Local auto parts stores will sometimes have Ford pin kits in their help section. Thats where I got mine. The pins were a little long, but the bushings and pins were the right size.

I've changed mine on my driver side, using this inexpensive solution. I think it was from NPD.

The bronze cups were of the right diameter, and only thing you need to do is cut the pins once installed as they were a tad too long for my taste.
I've searched but can't find back the thread that was a couple of years back on this. But recall in that thread that there were also pins avail with own greasing, made of great materials made to last.

I've used also these for my t-bird and it's when I've let it go may be 10 years later of daily use that I've noticed some play was back.
So if the mustang is not your daily, they should do fine for a very long time.

22811-2k_20191018151055.jpg

I rebuilt my hinges with drill rod and oillite bushings from McMaster Carr, probably about $10 in parts at the time and they're still tight eighteen years later. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back