Convert Ford steering pump to a Saginaw pump?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang 2 door sport roof
Hello fellow Mustang fanatics! Has anyone here converted their Ford power steering pump to the Saginaw pump? And if so, could you share some guidance on parts needed and modifications required? My Car is a ‘72, 302 with factory a/c. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It would be something to have power steering at idle and no howl.

Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply. I have rebuilt the original pump. No change . I bought a new rebuilt pump. No change. It has new lines and a new steering box. I am done messing with it, I am going to the Saginaw pump, I just have to figure out how I am going to do it. I was hoping it had been done here, but maybe it hasn’t. Searching the site hasn’t brought up anything.

Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply. I have rebuilt the original pump. No change . I bought a new rebuilt pump. No change. It has new lines and a new steering box. I am done messing with it, I am going to the Saginaw pump, I just have to figure out how I am going to do it. I was hoping it had been done here, but maybe it hasn’t. Searching the site hasn’t brought up anything.
 Having not ever used a Saginaw pump, I can't say if it would run any quieter at idle speed. Therefore all I can say is try it. It may or may not improve the noise. A pump is a pump, but perhaps you just got unlucky with the rebuilt one you have tried. It make no sense to me as my Ford pump runs as quiet as a mouse....... so to speak. The only time it squeals is at full lock and that's normal. 

What steering box did you put on? I'm thinking a circulation problem might be the cause, but I guess you'll find that out after you swap in the Saginaw pump. Good luck my friend.

Thank you, Don C!! That is exactly what I was looking for!! I did the same search, but apparently I didn’t go deep enough in to the pages. Bottom line is that gives me everything I need and you are the MAN!! Thanks again!!

Thats my post so let me know if you have any questions. I still have an issue that in idle i dont get enough power to turn the wheels. I have tried many things and i am believing its an issue with my specific pump.

As an important note. I am in the middle of replacing my Saginaw pump from TuffStuff. I am now learning that some of these pumps can generate 1,200 psi and others 1,450 psi. This could explain why I cant turn the wheels at low RPMs. I am purchasing a pump internal from Lee Steering that can generate the high pressure. That said i will keep the casing of my current pump that fits my application but replace the internal pump. I am hoping this is the solution. I will update once i have results.

As an important note. I am in the middle of replacing my Saginaw pump from TuffStuff. I am now learning that some of these pumps can generate 1,200 psi and others 1,450 psi. This could explain why I cant turn the wheels at low RPMs. I am purchasing a pump internal from Lee Steering that can generate the high pressure. That said i will keep the casing of my current pump that fits my application but replace the internal pump. I am hoping this is the solution. I will update once i have results.
Following. 

I'm curious what your results are.  To me it sounds like something is hosed up in your current pump, like the pressure regulator is hung up (open), or the vanes are toast.  You shouldn't need 1400 psi to make the front of your mustang turn at idle, unless your front tires are 33" drag slicks.  That equates to about 8,000 pounds of force pushing and pulling on the piston inside your steering box (the piston is 2.75" diameter)- and about 1500-2000 pounds of force at the end of the pitman arm pushing and pulling on the tie rod.  I have my pump detuned somewhere in the 800-1000 psi range and it seems to work fine.  My guess is that your new pump will cure all ills, and possibly make it a little twitchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious what your results are.  To me it sounds like something is hosed up in your current pump, like the pressure regulator is hung up (open), or the vanes are toast.  You shouldn't need 1400 psi to make the front of your mustang turn at idle, unless your front tires are 33" drag slicks.  That equates to about 8,000 pounds of force pushing and pulling on the piston inside your steering box (the piston is 2.75" diameter)- and about 1500-2000 pounds of force at the end of the pitman arm pushing and pulling on the tie rod.  I have my pump detuned somewhere in the 800-1000 psi range and it seems to work fine.  My guess is that your new pump will cure all ills, and possibly make it a little twitchy.
Could be. I checked the pressure regulator and it wasnt stuck or anything. I dont think this pump from TuffStuff is that tough:) At least the case has the configuration that i need.

I also have the steering gear converted to short ratio which makes things worse, and i have 5° of caster with my new suspension. We will see. If not it is money going down the drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following up on this thread. I changed the pump and now it works awesome. Effortless steering at idle. I definitely had a bad pump. I posted more details in my original thread:

Back