upgrade?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
about to start ripping apart the old motor this winter and see if it is still usable. if not, i want to go with a 393 or 427 and make about 450-500 horsepower. in your opinions, who puts together the best shortblock out there? have been looking at coast high performance and proformance unlimited. they seem to do nice work and i like the pricing. any inside tips on where to find a usable seasoned block to start with if i go ahead and build it all myself? thanks! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, saw your intro thread so you have a 302/c4/8.8 now. That means you are looking at pretty much replacing the entire drive train. You can stay small block (less weight) and stroke it and get to 500 HP pretty easy. You might look at going for a big block. I figure at those HP numbers you are looking at a hobby car that you drive every once in a while right? A big block will help get you lots of torque and you could event bore/stroke one to get some serious cubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a big block would be nice, all depends on what I decide to go with and what works for me at the time of deciding. The car will be a weekend driver, used to be my daily driver, but looking back, too much damaged incurred by other drivers just doesnt seem to be worth putting it on the road often considering the amount of time and money I am going to put into it. Thanks for the feedback guys!

well... lot of parts of sbf and easy to make that hp, just have no idea with bbf never worked with it. your 302 stroke it to like a 347 and some aluminum heads headders and hydro roller cam set up, got to the comp cams website and download the program called "camquest" it will put you in the right ball park and help out a lot with cam choices, did for me and my 351c build

Back