Distributor gear roll pin. Need some expert guidance.

6 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

And run the drill at the lower speed if it has a speed selector. If not the drill may smoke.

Good point Tony. :thumb:

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

9 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

And run the drill at the lower sleed if it has a speed selector. If not the drill may smoke.

Depends on the drill.  Most of them these days have little fans inside that are directly spun by the motor.  The faster you run the motor, the more air they pull through to cool them off.  And drills that have electronics inside like brushless motors as mosfets also have thermal sensors and will cut themselves off before they overheat and start burning up the electric bits.  If you run these drills slower, you'll trip the thermal cutoff sooner than if you ran it wide open.

I do think you're right about if you pulled out the corded craftsman drill you got from your great grandpappy.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, giantpune said:

Depends on the drill.  Most of them these days have little fans inside that are directly spun by the motor.  The faster you run the motor, the more air they pull through to cool them off.  And drills that have electronics inside like brushless motors as mosfets also have thermal sensors and will cut themselves off before they overheat and start burning up the electric bits.  If you run these drills slower, you'll trip the thermal cutoff sooner than if you ran it wide open.

I do think you're right about if you pulled out the corded craftsman drill you got from your great grandpappy.

I am just sharing my recent experience. I have a fairly new cordless DeWalt. The first time I run the oil pump it was at high speed and after a few seconds it smoked - it didn't burn because I was able to use it after a few seconds and still today. At low speed I was able to achieve 80 psi of pressure with no problem.

Edited by tony-muscle
  • Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes