How is the windshield wiper switch installed?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantpune

Reaction score
Y'all bear with me here.  Every since I've had my car, I've not had wipers.  I just rainex it and drive it like that.

I have the hole where the wiper switch is supposed to go.  I have a new wiper switch plugged into the connector and that whole thing is just dangling.  I also have a light bulb that I assume is supposed to be mounted around it somewhere to illuminate it when the headlights are on.  I've stared at this switch and the hole in the dash for longer than I want to admit and I'm still unsure of how the switch and connector are meant to be in the dash.  Can somebody post some pictures and/or instructions for this?  Does it install from underneath or do I need to take out the tach and speedometer and go in from above?  Don't be afraid to dumb to down for me.  You won't hurt my feelings on this one.   :biggrin:

There is a sheet metal adapter (basically a box) that mounts between the dash and the switch.  This adapter has a hole in it for the bulb socket.  There is also a plated plastic bezel that fits on the shiny side of the dash and threaded barrel nut fastener that holds everything together. 

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew.  I pretty much got the switch installed now.  Between that 17C443 box and the fuse box sitting behind it, there was no room to work.  The wires are not long enough to plug in the connector and then pull the switch back far enough to line it up and install it through the hole.  And If I install the switch fully, I didn't have enough room to work to get the connector twisted around and oriented correctly and press it on.  I was able to get it by sticking the tip of the switch rod through its hole and while the switch was still loose, press the connector on its back and then feed the whole thing through the hole and get it sinched down.

From your picture, I'm missing parts 17A426 and 17531.  I see they sell reproduction knobs.  What is the first part?  Is it just a tool to install the retaining nut?

Back