Windshield Washer Bottle & Pump?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
Wasn’t sure what forum this fits in, but here’s my question.  I ordered a windshield washer bottle as my original was broken.  I went to install the pump and something in my brain said—check for a leak.  Guess what—it leaked through the pump area...of course it does....   the washer bottle is a reproduction as the OEM Ford ones are no longer available.  But the pump and its seal are 50 years old as they are the original.  Is the leak from the pump/seal or the repro bottle?  I looked in the hole where the pump is installed and there was a small burr where the fluid exits to go into the hose.  I popped the burr off and tried it again, but it still leaks.  Without throwing out my initial ideas to fix, what would you do?

Dumb question. Have you checked to make sure the pipes from the bottle to the jets on the bonnet are not blocked? 

On my 7/72 Mach 1 the pipe from the washer bottle to the under side of the bonnet is wrapped in the wiring loom and exits the loom just under the brake master cylinder and then goes to the bonnet. I found my pipe is damaged or blocked and the pipe on the bottom of the bottle would pop off. Also the jets under the bonnet were blocked adding to the issue.

I ended up just running a new pipe next to the wiring loom and cleaned the jets and replaced the other pipe. Works like a treat now.

Im using the original bottle and pump.

Have made the same experience few months ago. New reservoir from Mr Scott Drake does not fit the old pump neither a new one, ordered the same day from the same vendor. Additionally the top cover of the new reservoir isn't removable without damage, while the OEM one is. 

I now fixed the old pump and I'm happy, that the old reservoir is still intact. 

Cheers Frank 

CJ has a "Ford" washer bottle that seems to be good.  I had to debur it a tiny bit inside where the pump impeller goes.  The new washer motors look exactly like the old ones, and since the seal is a part of the motor maybe try a new washer motor with a tiny bit of silicone grease (dielectric) on the seal?

Capture.PNG

Dumb question. Have you checked to make sure the pipes from the bottle to the jets on the bonnet are not blocked? 

On my 7/72 Mach 1 the pipe from the washer bottle to the under side of the bonnet is wrapped in the wiring loom and exits the loom just under the brake master cylinder and then goes to the bonnet. I found my pipe is damaged or blocked and the pipe on the bottom of the bottle would pop off. Also the jets under the bonnet were blocked adding to the issue.

I ended up just running a new pipe next to the wiring loom and cleaned the jets and replaced the other pipe. Works like a treat now.

Im using the original bottle and pump.
Uhhh, no.  But everything is going to be new except the nozzles, so as long as they are clear I don’t expect problems other than a leaky washer bottle/pump.

Cool.. All good.

I cleaned my nozzels by unscrewing them from the plastic mount and cleaned them with a pin etc. Then reinstalled and adjusted.

The lid on my tank don't sit tight and lets fluid out. I don't know if all are the same. I just filled mine for the first time this week as I am getting ready for my long trip and around town I had already lost a bit amount of wiper fluid. I will tape it in place for the trip :(

Back