No power going to fuse 3 on the block.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7603

Reaction score
Hi, I picked up a 73 convertible and going through it the dash panel lights, clock, do not work. Checked the fuses and good but number 3 fuse has no power to it. Any suggestions before I pull the block to see if there's an issue with the connections It would be greatly appreciated. fuse is the 4 Amp small one. Also noticed that spot 7 the accessory terminal was not there.

Fuse 3 is for the instrument panel lights and only gets power when the headlights are on.

You'll only have a fuse in #7 if you have the accessory extender.

Hi Don, when I put on the lights all I get is the shift indicator light. No other inter panel lights. Thanks, if you can think of anything else other than pulling the panel and checking the bulbs will appreciate it.

The headlight switch has a rheostat in it that varies the voltage to the instrument lights when the headlight switch knob is turned. Make sure the knob is turned all the way clockwise, if you still get nothing the switch has failed. It's a common failure item.

Will pick up a switch at NPD with other items. Good thing they are fairly local. Thanks.

Check the dash lights them selves. Of the 14 lights in my standard dash, none worked. Only the alternator one worked and thats in a different type of socket. All the globes were ok but there was corrosion on the contacts on the black twist plugs AND on the contacts on the globes also. I replaced the dash light globes with LED's that use the same type of contact. I left the standard globes in for the Oil light, Temp light, brake light and the indicator lights. 

Check the dash lights them selves. Of the 14 lights in my standard dash, none worked. Only the alternator one worked and thats in a different type of socket. All the globes were ok but there was corrosion on the contacts on the black twist plugs AND on the contacts on the globes also. I replaced the dash light globes with LED's that use the same type of contact. I left the standard globes in for the Oil light, Temp light, brake light and the indicator lights. 
Just a quick comment here. If you're replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's and have "idiot lights", you MUST leave the ALT bulb incandescent or the circuit will be (could be) damaged. I'm no electrical expert by a long shot, but that has been discussed many times.

Also if your printed circuit board, if that's what it's called, is in bad condition, I'd replace it as well. 

Geoff, Yep I left the incandescent globes in place for the trans shifter, and back lights for the heater, headlight switch and wiper switch.

Also of note, the LED's need to go in the correct orientation. So make sure you test them once installed before reassembly to ensure they are in the right way. If they dont work, just remove and rotate 180 deg and reinstall.

The bulbs i see are color coded sets of 16 thinking 2 are for the clock. One set 2x brighter than the originals the others are 5x. What did you guy's get and how did they look? I will also get the switch just in case it's that also. Either way I was going to pull the assembly to look at the bulbs. Nice catch on the Alt bulb. Learned about the orientation on the bulbs on a fairly current vehicle. Looking at the condition of the car I'm thinking the circuit panel trace should still be good.

Geoff, Yep I left the incandescent globes in place for the trans shifter, and back lights for the heater, headlight switch and wiper switch.

Also of note, the LED's need to go in the correct orientation. So make sure you test them once installed before reassembly to ensure they are in the right way. If they dont work, just remove and rotate 180 deg and reinstall.
Yes good point on polarity of LED's. It's only the ALT bulb that must remain incandescent, the rest can be LED's without problem.

Everyone, thanks for the information. After a few fuses I had in stock, all bad bought some and had power. Also new LEDs and a headlight switch and buffed the bezel. Looks great.

20210612_185126.jpg

20210612_185201.jpg

Back