Milestone: Drove first time today after waiting (almost) 2 years

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
This is a bit of a ramble -- I'm just so thrilled my car is running (and running good!) it's hard to organize my thoughts around "What next?"

Actually, when the car came to me by carrier, the driver drove it off the truck and I drove it from the street to my driveway.  That was the first time I drove it; today was the second. Now I need to figure out what next besides the obvious, and in what order.

Have replaced:  timing chain, water pump, alternator, radiator, thermostat, fuel tank, sender, etc., battery and a rebuilt p/s pump.  But I hit the wall trying to get it started again so I sent it to professionals (lol).  Dang -- now it starts by just looking at the key (it seems).  Hope that lasts.

But the first real drive, just a few miles because the tires are (very) old: the acceleration is *excellent*, mufflers have an awesome, deep rumble and brakes are good (good pedal response, no squeaks or pulling and they stop the car).  Steering is well assisted but overall front suspension seems a little squishy and vague.  Both front and rear seem to bounce a bit more than is normal.  Transmission engages without issue, shifts normally, downshifts unnoticeable.  All the gauges work.  Tach, too!

The obvious:  need a new top and tires.  Tires are a conundrum because I don't plan to keep the current wheels (first choice is forged aluminum slot mags).  And ultimately a paint job, but that has to wait until a visit to the body shop.  Except for tires, I place all that in the appearance category, which is a lower priority than getting a safe, drivable & reliable vehicle.

All that aside, I am just so dang happy.  And I couldn't think of anyone that would appreciate that more than y'all.

Every time I drive a bit, it's something new.  Drove about 5 miles to drop the car off for a new lid (convertible top) and I noticed when I was stopped at a red light for a long time, the oil pressure gauge s-l-o-w-l-y drops, drops, drops until the red stop light changes then on acceleration it's back to roughly mid-point on the gauge.  Until the next long red light.

It won't be until I get the car back from the upholstery shop that I can check, but what should I look for?  Idle rpm in gear while stopped with no a/c running is a solid 750-800.

You probably do not want to put too much faith in the factory gauge. If you could actually hook up a gauge to the oil system so you can see a real pressure would be better. Your idle speed should be fine. My factory gauges go up and down and seem to be different every time I drive.
What oil are you running? Maybe go to a 10 W 50 or if you are at 10 W 30 go to 10 W 40.
If you pull the valve cover how does the oiling look come to rockers?

Omg, I'm so glad you said this:  "My factory gauges go up and down and seem to be different every time I drive."  Seems to be true!

Nonetheless, yes, a real gauge would be better.  I'm currently running 10w30 and not sure if it makes a diff, but our summer temps are hitting 110++. 

In any case, car will be at the shop for top replacement for a few weeks and all in-car diagnostics will have to wait.

Got the car back late yesterday afternoon from having the top replaced.  He did an excellent job - so tight and tidy.  Painted the underframe, all new tack strips, put in new weatherstripping, nice new rear window -- AND detailed the interior!  I'm love all over again.  It's still 100+ degrees in the afternoon here so waited until this morning for a cruise around.  Got 10 gal of gas and headed to Sonic for drinks, then home.  Perhaps 20 mile round trip.  The error summary:

• (new) Gas tank leaks at about the 3/4 mark (I expect its about where the filler pipe meets the tank?)
  • Differential leaks a bit (and that oil is *black*; needs a change)
  • Transmission leaked from where I shifted into reverse and backed down our 80' driveway

Next trip will be back to the shop for these issues and a few others out of my scope.  Nevertheless,

===> the 20 mile drive was awesome <===

2021 09 04 New top.jpg

The filler neck seal may have been installed backwards. If so, it will leak, guess how I know.  Chuck

Back