Rear wheel bearing removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Régis

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 1973 Q code
Hi guys,

I try to remove the rear wheel bearing from the axle shaft...whithout success( even if i heat the bearing). I don't have the specific tool described in the shop manuals...Any ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_20210614_165207.jpg

I had to take mine to my machinist. They had some kind of hydraulic press jig up that would pop them off.

Other than that, your looking at very carefully using a cutoff wheel to remove it. I think they rarely ever come off by hammering/heating.

Best method is to use a shop press to remove and install the bearing and locking collar. I have a bearing splitter that I use to remove the bearings in my press. This video shows the correct method to install them. 

You can also cut the locking collar and bearings apart and split them with a cold chisel. I've also seen the bearings driven on with a big hammer and piece of tube. 

The safe and sane way is to press them off. The old-timer way was to break off the outer shell with a big hammer, remove the balls, heat one spot on the inner race until it is red hot, smack it with the big hammer and the bearing will fall off. Obviously this may mess up the temper of the axle if not done quickly before heat transfers to the axle from the bearing race. Having the axle break at the bearing while driving down the highway will ruin your day (not to mention your car).

There's not much room to get in there with a cutoff wheel, but if you notch it as much as possible you can drive a cold chisel into the notch and break the race. 

And then you have to install the new bearing. Once again, a press is the best way. Back to the old-timers, they used a length of pipe to drive them on with the big hammer. To me that is a good way to mess up the bearing, and at a minimum destroy the seal. Too much work involved in changing an axle bearing to have to do it again in a few weeks.

So, either buy yourself a press and bearing separator, or take it to a machinist or mechanic who has the tools.

Thank you all for the answers!  So it's not easy ... i'll take it to a machinist...

I use to have them go bad a lot on a 1969 Ford van with 9" rear. I kept spares with me and tools to change. If the outer is not already broken I would break it with hammer, cover the bearing with rag to prevent pieces flying and hitting you.
I then would take a propane torch and head the inner race a little and then take a long cold chisel and hammer and they pop right off. Then cool the axle off I never got really hot. I had a length of pipe that would fit over the axle and only hit the inner race to drive them back on and then the retaining ring.
I use to load that van so heavy the the axles would actually push out of bearing and tires would hit the fenders. Would have to stop jack up and kick the axle back in. I have done them in middle of nowhere in Montana.

I have a press in shop and the clamp on ring to go under the bearing. When pressing off you still need to cover with rags the outer race can explode and not good.

Back