Do you drive?

How do you drive your 71-73? 
Are you the type to fix it up and stare at it in your garage?

or

Are you the type that Drives? If so, how many miles a year do you think you put on your car?

I have owned my 71 since 1994. I am 50 yrs old and drive my car any chance I get. I put about 250 miles a week on it in the summer. Don’t really fuss about a little rust or a dent here or there. I just enjoy the DRIVE. I do upgrades and like to just look but to me it is all about the Drive.  

• Like 1

My 71 was the first car I had. Got me through college as my daily driver (wouldn't recommend it). I don't drive it as much as I used to, but it's still usually my daily during the spring and fall when the weather permits.

The driving experience is just so much more fun and engaging than any of the other newer cars I've had.

Edited by Galucha
Clarity
  • Like 1

Plain Jane | 1971 F Code Coupe 302/C4 Automatic

Goin' to Town Rig | 1971 F100 Ranger XLT LWB 390FE/C6 Automatic

Commuter | 2018 Tesla Model 3 Midrange RWD

In my family, cars get driven.  I enjoy my classic cars much more driving them than keeping them parked and just repeatedly washing them.  Mine are driver quality.  I dont have to worry about putting the first dent in them or beating them up a bit.  That ship has sailed long ago.

I wasn't one of those kids who left his toys in the wrapper sitting an the shelf, either.

I am with Mike: at this point I am wrenching and staring at it. One time, hopefully next year, I want to drive it regularly in summer, for example to work. It would be too bad let it sitting there in the garage for all the years and work I spent for it. There are some nice roads in the Black Forest here... :thumb:

• Like 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

They're for DRIVING............ as well as looking at! I'm not doing as much driving as I would normally do due to no car shows around here the last two years, but I really love getting out on some local curvy roads and carving corners. Straight lines are boring, sorry drag race fans.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I drive it. I drove 1,800 miles last weekend when going to Carlisle and back. Although, that is not the normal it was awesome. After that trip I feel now more confortable driving it more often and to more places. Not that I want to purposely drive it in the rain but I also realized that once in a while that's fine. I drove through a bad storm in PA and all went well - no leakages! However, I won't drive it in the winter. Too much snow and salt out there. That's also my time to perform the mods that require more time.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

This week (so far) I have racked up 320 miles. Drove to work a few times and tooled around town a few times. I have a place by me called Gus’s Drive Inn that I try to make it to a few times a year and this weekend is one of them. I LOvE THE DRIVE!! 

Thanks for the update on PA Tony. I wish I could have rolled with you!  

what to do next????!!!!!!!!!???????

10A87BBC-C23F-4C6D-A124-FEC5FA328640.jpeg

• LOL 1

I have one that’s sits around and looks pretty. Thanks Q-Jet Carburetor… I have another one I drive on occasion. 

• Like 1

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

On 6/19/2021 at 12:53 AM, Mach1s said:

This week (so far) I have racked up 320 miles. Drove to work a few times and tooled around town a few times. I have a place by me called Gus’s Drive Inn that I try to make it to a few times a year and this weekend is one of them. I LOvE THE DRIVE!! 

Thanks for the update on PA Tony. I wish I could have rolled with you!  

what to do next????!!!!!!!!!???????

10A87BBC-C23F-4C6D-A124-FEC5FA328640.jpeg

You put your gnarly boots, filled with your sweaty, crusty, wart covered feet on your awesome Urethane bumper  -- what a peasant ...what a heathen.... back in the middle ages in the UK , we burned people at the stake for lesser crimes. :biggrin:   I've written to Her Majesty ...  apparently a very special place in the tower of London is being prepared for you 

Edited by 1sostatic
  • Like 1

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

I rarely take it out just to be driving it.  Most of my driving is to local cruise ins and car shows.   Would like to drive it more often but have gotten gun shy from several nasty nicks from road debris and a really bad chip in the drivers door by crap coming off a pick up truck going in the opposite direction. It's just to dam pretty.  :biggrin:

1234761909_20200922_113759_resized(3).thumb.jpg.0f150f1f8ba6d8e6c63b1a1d290f60b1.jpg

Edited by Kilgon
  • Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

4 hours ago, Kilgon said:

I rarely take it out just to be driving it.  Most of my driving is to local cruise ins and car shows.   Would like to drive it more often but have gotten gun shy from several nasty nicks from road debris and a really bad chip in the drivers door by crap coming off a pick up truck going in the opposite direction. It's just to dam pretty.  :biggrin:

1234761909_20200922_113759_resized(3).thumb.jpg.0f150f1f8ba6d8e6c63b1a1d290f60b1.jpg

That's gorgeous .  Please ship to 1sostatic.... no. 1 happy street, UK ...thx :thumb:

• Thanks 1

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

5 hours ago, 1sostatic said:

You put your gnarly boots, filled with your sweaty, crusty, wart covered feet on your awesome Urethane bumper  -- what a peasant ...what a heathen.... back in the middle ages in the UK , we burned people at the stake for lesser crimes. :biggrin:   I've written to Her Majesty ...  apparently a very special place in the tower of London is being prepared for you 

It’s a car… not a woman and for the record’ I had all the warts removed!!

• LOL 1

Every damn chance I get.

Black 1971 Mach 1

351C/FMX/TrickFlow Heads/Lunati Retro Roller Conversion

Classic Auto AC, Manual Front Discs, Upgraded Springs/Shocks/Close-Ratio Steering

IMG-2977.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Local shows some but primarily Texas Hill Country loops.

Drive to cruise-ins, weekend drives through the local backroads (I'll have to keep an eye out for EdM!), trips to coffee shops and ice cream shops.  Occasionally I'll drive it to work.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this one. There are places for both. I have an original 73 Mach 1 with 12,000 miles with 41 options from Ford. If it was crashed there is not another for a million dollars never built so no driving. I have another original 73 vert with 48,000 that I drive to shows and no worries.
As soon as I took the Mach 1 out some drunk driver would destroy it and there is not another......

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

On 7/3/2021 at 11:35 PM, EdM said:

Local shows some but primarily Texas Hill Country loops.

That said, I do bounce between the Mustang and the Dart.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/eRhbcZB.jpg[/img]

Edited by EdM