1.08 or 1.12 autolite

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cribbs74

Reaction score
Still searching for a 4 barrel for my 302. Plenty of 1.12 carbs out there but not many 1.08’s and the ones that are folks want close to $500 for them. 

My question is has anyone successfully run the larger 1.12 on a stock 302 2V? I see there is Venturi restricting rings available, not sure if that is the way to go. 

480 vs 600 CFM…. I’d rather be at 480

The 1.12 was used on the 289/271 HP HiPo. It had more compassion bigger cam and better exhaust manifolds. However the calibration of the 1.12 used on 390s and early non-CJ 428s would be different. There are very few parts available to re-calibrate with (Mike's Carbs has some as well as kits). Kits also available from Wagner. Given the stock rebuild you plan to do, I'd try to find a good 1.08 carb. Check for choke style compatibility with what you intend to use. Or you could just use the stock intake and 2100 carb you have.

Chuck

There's a good chance that buying a carburetor that was last built in 1967 will be well worn and need extensive work, including having throttle shaft bushings installed.

In the long run a new Summit carburetor will cost less. The Summit carburetor also looks like a 4100, so appears period correct, and you have a choice of sizes.

I ordered a rebuild kit from Mike for my 73 Q code. I had put everything in and was going to put the carb together and the gaskets were not spreadbore. When I contacted him he said I did not tell him which carb I had. There was only one and he would not make the kit good. Will never go back there. I had to go to NAPA and buy whole kit just to get the gaskets.

So, I purchased a 1.12 4100 carb that is very clean for $125. The Venturi restrictors are $24. I’ll use the primary jets from my 2100 to get it useable on a 302.  Secondaries will take some tuning. All in, even if I have to buy a rebuild kit, will be less than $200. 90% sure the throttle shafts will not need a re-bush. Choke style is correct for the 1972 setup I currently have. 

What I didn’t consider is if the stock air cleaner will fit over the carb… Hoping so. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back