Minor leak with new lines-need input.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
When I bought the car the hydraulic cylinders and lines were pouring fluid out through the floor pan onto the ground. I replaced the cylinders and the lines, and the pump was still functional. I have minor leaks from the cylinders where the lines attach. I bought Scott drake parts and their customer service has been silent. Can you guys help?

The new lines came with a small Ziploc with about 8 o rings. The new cylinders already had o rings inserted and the pump already had O-rings. And the O-rings sent with the lines didn’t seem to match any junction in diameter or shape or look like replacements for the existing o-rings.  The existing o rings are thick and flat edged, the new rings are smaller diameter and rounded profile…

ideas?? Maybe just give the lines that extra 1/4 turn?

thanks!

Replace the o-rings.

The old ones are compressed, which is why they have a flat edge.
I bought new cylinders, with pre installed o rings, they are flat topped round like a toilet wax ring

the lines came with o rings that don’t fit anywhere. They are round like a donut.  Lines are also new.

the only old item is the pump and it’s not leaking.

Interesting, Scoot Drake denies selling convertible top parts for the 71, NPD lists it as a Scott Drake 71 part. Let’s see how this ends….

Interesting turn of events, I bought them at NPD, they advertised them as Scott Drake.  Scott Drake finally contacted me, says they don’t make these, and NPD will call me to explain what happened and help me out. That was weeks ago, no call from NPD. They did however go to the item on the website and took off the Scott Drake name, and now it has no manufacturer ID, and I still have leaky lines and o rings that don’t seem to fit anywhere.

When I bought the car the hydraulic cylinders and lines were pouring fluid out through the floor pan onto the ground. I replaced the cylinders and the lines, and the pump was still functional. I have minor leaks from the cylinders where the lines attach. I bought Scott drake parts and their customer service has been silent. Can you guys help?

The new lines came with a small Ziploc with about 8 o rings. The new cylinders already had o rings inserted and the pump already had O-rings. And the O-rings sent with the lines didn’t seem to match any junction in diameter or shape or look like replacements for the existing o-rings.  The existing o rings are thick and flat edged, the new rings are smaller diameter and rounded profile…

ideas?? Maybe just give the lines that extra 1/4 turn?

thanks!
Magic words: Scott Drake.  Personally I have had bad experiences and no replies to complaints.  Scott Drake = caveat emptor

For what it is worth, I heard a rumour a couple of weeks ago from my local mustang shop, that Scott Drake was bought by another company in the recent past.  Also that Wheel Vintiques (who I understand was having all kinds of quality control issues on their magnum 500’s ) also changed ownership.

if memory serves me correct, Holley Performance bought one of the 2.  I can’t remember the other purchaser.

cheers

Back