71 FMX transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Two 71 convertibles
Currently have a 71 FMX transmission being rebuilt with new seals etc.Transmission shop has indicated to me about a seal with expander properties that goes where the shifter linkage enters the case. Apparently it wears and a regular seal will leak. Anyone have any advise on this condition. Trying to locate a seal for this area. 

Sounds like they want to tell you, that your shifter linkage is worn. Used but already within specs isn't cheap but available. I think it's more easy to exchange the linkage than searching for a different seal.

Screenshot_20210619-055649_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is just an example.

Currently have a 71 FMX transmission being rebuilt with new seals etc.Transmission shop has indicated to me about a seal with expander properties that goes where the shifter linkage enters the case. Apparently it wears and a regular seal will leak. Anyone have any advise on this condition. Trying to locate a seal for this area. 
Sounds like the shop has a better option on which seal to use...?

because the original seal is available for about $3.00

part # 072

https://transpartsonline.com/TRANS_PARTS_FILE/tpcat.php?TransPartsOnline=FMX&TransPartsType=FMX

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 6.07.05 PM.png

This past spring I changed my sale and of ring on my FMX trans for a total of $8 for a new seal and Oring plus trans fluid and filter.  Having never do this before I took detailed notes and pictures.  These instructions can be found in this sites Tech Forum in the General Maintenance and Repairs section.  Look on page 5 for article Changing a Shifter Seal and Oring on FMX Trans.

Not to hard to do.  Worst part is getting the small bullet shaped plunger back in place.  

Good luck!

Back