71 FMX transmission

Currently have a 71 FMX transmission being rebuilt with new seals etc.Transmission shop has indicated to me about a seal with expander properties that goes where the shifter linkage enters the case. Apparently it wears and a regular seal will leak. Anyone have any advise on this condition. Trying to locate a seal for this area. 

Sounds like they want to tell you, that your shifter linkage is worn. Used but already within specs isn't cheap but available. I think it's more easy to exchange the linkage than searching for a different seal.

1041539878_Screenshot_20210619-055649_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b150331306a234863b5bb75aad6bc709.jpg

This is just an example.

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

21 hours ago, My02Edge said:

Currently have a 71 FMX transmission being rebuilt with new seals etc.Transmission shop has indicated to me about a seal with expander properties that goes where the shifter linkage enters the case. Apparently it wears and a regular seal will leak. Anyone have any advise on this condition. Trying to locate a seal for this area. 

Sounds like the shop has a better option on which seal to use...?

because the original seal is available for about $3.00

part # 072

https://transpartsonline.com/TRANS_PARTS_FILE/tpcat.php?TransPartsOnline=FMX&TransPartsType=FMX

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 6.07.05 PM.png

This past spring I changed my sale and of ring on my FMX trans for a total of $8 for a new seal and Oring plus trans fluid and filter.  Having never do this before I took detailed notes and pictures.  These instructions can be found in this sites Tech Forum in the General Maintenance and Repairs section.  Look on page 5 for article Changing a Shifter Seal and Oring on FMX Trans.

Not to hard to do.  Worst part is getting the small bullet shaped plunger back in place.  

Good luck!

Auto spell checked butchered my first sentence. It should say, This past spring I changed my seal and oring.......

Edited by Mac