Help with brake line replacement

How exactly do you get the full body rear brake hard line out and replace with new? Mine is all jammed up on the firewall under layers of stuff, and jammed between tunnel and transmission!  It looks like a bunch of wiring, linkage, speedometer cable, other brake line, etc needs to go, but its really jammed in…

Tips?

Well, this won't be much help, but I took the opportunity to replace my rear lines when the engine and trans were out. You're right it really tight under there. 

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

On 6/19/2021 at 5:51 AM, RIBS said:

How exactly do you get the full body rear brake hard line out and replace with new? Mine is all jammed up on the firewall under layers of stuff, and jammed between tunnel and transmission!  It looks like a bunch of wiring, linkage, speedometer cable, other brake line, etc needs to go, but its really jammed in…

Tips?

It works - with all in. I did it a few weeks ago. Had to remove all the brake line mounting clips of the hard line, disconnect all the other brake lines from the underbody hardline and fiddle it out there. With a little tweaking here and there, especially at the transmission, it went well in about not more than 10 Minutes. I will try to reinstall all the new brake, fuel and vapor lines under there and hope, it goes as well. But I think I will need a little bit more time, especially because the new lines aren't exactly bent like the originals out there. We will see... 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

4 hours ago, timachone said:

It works - with all in. I did it a few weeks ago. Had to remove all the brake line mounting clips of the hard line, disconnect all the other brake lines from the underbody hardline and fiddle it out there. With a little tweaking here and there, especially at the transmission, it went well in about not more than 10 Minutes. I will try to reinstall all the new brake, fuel and vapor lines under there and hope, it goes as well. But I think I will need a little bit more time, especially because the new lines aren't exactly bent like the originals out there. We will see... 

I did get mine out, stripped everything off the firewall I could. Internet no easy and working with the distribution block is also a pain.  Mine is back on the road.

• Like 1

Great to hear - you make no prisoners! That's inspiring - if I ever had that time in one piece! Glad you managed it - keep on moving and enjoy the ride! 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony: