Tail light aluminum trim removal

So..... I was hoping to save some money and buy a good set of used tail light lens's and replace the older ones.

Anybody removed the aluminum trim on the lens?  It appears very stuck :-)  Appreciate the help!

As Chuck says, but be very careful. The glue is solvent based, be careful what you use on it. Varsol will be ok. I used a 1" putty knife, but again be careful. For cleaning the lenses, believe it or not, brake fluid works wonders. On a set I have, there was a lot of overspray (someone else's doing) and the brake fluid took it all off without damaging the acrylic plastic. You might just be able to restore the ones you have.

• Like 2

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

While you have them apart it would be a good time to repaint the black on the aluminum if needed.   Makes a big difference.  I used VHT matte black rim paint when I did mine.

• Like 2

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Thank you guys! 

I did purchase a nice set of lens's so I really need to get the old ones out but not damage the alum bezels. So....what is VHT ? very hot tamale :-)  seriously I don't know?  

3 hours ago, machattack said:

Thank you guys! 

I did purchase a nice set of lens's so I really need to get the old ones out but not damage the alum bezels. So....what is VHT ? very hot tamale :-)  seriously I don't know?  

VHT is a brand of paint.

• Like 1

Geoff.

7 hours ago, machattack said:

Thank you guys! 

As Geoff mentioned it is a brand of paint.  I stated that I used the matte finish but is was the satin. It is what I use on my rims.  VHT Wheel Paint -- High Heat Coatings (vhtpaint.com)

• Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

9 hours ago, machattack said:

Thank you for answers guys :-)  I got them thar trim pieces off. Man they were stuck. Heres a pic drying with the replacement lens. I also sanded and buffed/polished the aluminum.

mach tail light.jpg

Stuck! They sure are. 

Nice job there my friend.

• Like 1

Geoff.

• 1 month later...

Too late now but I did a how to on them, is on the site but can never find anything now. The aluminum has some holes and the lens had pins that went in the hole and melted them over. There was also some mastic between them. Here is what I have done in the past. Got the masking down to 20 min. for the black paint. BTW I got these from Daniel Carpenter direct they were defects because the aluminum was loose they were $50.00 for trim and lens made from Ford tooling. Use his gaskets do not use the Ford they are junk his are much better.

Tail_Light_Black.docx

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David