Main beam warning light location and color?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbracken

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Cobra Jet
Hi all, can someone tell me where this lamp is on the dashboard and the color of the lamp when illuminated please?

Thanks.  

Nigel B

Are you referring to the headlight high beam indicator? It's on the "running horse" emblem on the speedometer gauge, near the bottom. Should be illuminated red when high beams are on.

Are you referring to the headlight high beam indicator? It's on the "running horse" emblem on the speedometer gauge, near the bottom. Should be illuminated red when high beams are on.
Thank you and yes.   I have just brought my Mustang from the US to Germany and am in the proposes of getting it inspected (the German TUV) to make sure it is OK to use here and I have two issues to deal with - the warning light isn’t working (at all) and if it did it would light up red (based on your reply) and in Germany it should be blue.   Hopefully I can find a different inspector who will be more tolerant…

Hi Nigel, 

find another inspector, please! 

My Mach 1 still has the red Pony indicator and no inspector has ever complained about that! And don't let you be forced to another unecessary changes to your car! I still have the original taillights, hazard warning light indicator and so on... The only thing that had to be changed thanks to the German law is the position lamp in the front. They don't have to glow orange. You can keep the lower turn signal lights, have to change the headlights to H4 standard with integrated parking lamps. The original parking lamps/grille lamps have to be non functional as orange front light is (officially) is not allowed here. But nothing else! You have to find a more experienced inspector! 

In terms of the light not working. It could be as simple as the globe is blown in the dash or the contacts need cleaning on both the globe and the plastic twist in globe holder. I would start with a small file and just clean the contacts on both parts to see if that fixes your issue.

Hi Nigel, 

find another inspector, please! 

My Mach 1 still has the red Pony indicator and no inspector has ever complained about that! And don't let you be forced to another unecessary changes to your car! I still have the original taillights, hazard warning light indicator and so on... The only thing that had to be changed thanks to the German law is the position lamp in the front. They don't have to glow orange. You can keep the lower turn signal lights, have to change the headlights to H4 standard with integrated parking lamps. The original parking lamps/grille lamps have to be non functional as orange front light is (officially) is not allowed here. But nothing else! You have to find a more experienced inspector! 
Tim thank you and I have found another place who seems much better.   I have changed the headlamps as you mention above, the speedo to kph with one of the overlay kits, and for teh TUV already put the rear indicators into the reversing lamps lens...for now.  Hopefully next week all will be done and i can go and get my license plates!

Back