login issues

72Mach168Cam

Question

Having problems logging into my home computer (on at work, yes on breaktime boss). Tried changing password. No help. Just receive error. Forgot what it says. Just something about not recognizing password. 

Could be my laptop (macbook), since it has been wonky for a month or two. Possibly a cookies setting error. Not sure if I have them setup right, even though I tried that.

Thanks

Brett

7 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, RocketFoot said:

Sounds like browser settings...maybe try a different browser and see if the issue still happens??

Could be settings. But since I haven't changed them, I wonder why that would help. this is the only site that I have login issues where a password is required. I don't have another browser, just the Safari that is on the laptop. Again I wonder why a different browser would help as I've seen that as a suggestion from tech's when troubleshooting. I really have no idea. I am ignorant why settings that haven't  been changed or a browser that works one week and not the next causes problems. I've never had a tech explain why these are the typical first steps in troubleshooting. Maybe it is too lengthy or too complicated to explain in short. Then again I'm a computer dummy. Explaining might not help.

I am actually using google chrome at work (yes boss, I'm on break). The reason for that is internet explorer which was the go to browser on the work pc's for years, lately (past year) does not play well with websites any longer. What kind of magic computer voodoo does that?

Back to my macbook; Personally I think it is an apple thing. They've implanted a "bug" on my laptop when it was made. Maybe a chip on the circuit board that remains inactive until a certain number of hours of use have passed or a specified date is reached or it receives a activate message from the mothership then it renders the device a pain in the ass to use so as a consumer I HAVE TO buy a new apple product. Not far fetched of a theory I am sure, ie. battery life on older iphones.

Thanks RocketFoot! I'll see if I can take a look at browser settings. I really need to buy an external hardrive and save all things that are important to me, like the dozens of Mach 1 pics that will be critical for reassembly and then download a new OS (kinda have to as that is how apple rolls). Been meaning to upgrade the os, just haven't got a external hard drive. Even then I'm kinda limited on which OS I can download thanks to apple and their expiration dates on their stuff. 

cheers

Edited by 72Mach168Cam
clarity.

Brett

Yeah, Apple doesn't play well with all websites out there either.  I have heard instances of IPB forum not working with Apple.  OS's and browsers need to make their codes all industry standard...that would help, LOL!

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, RocketFoot said:

Yeah, Apple doesn't play well with all websites out there either.  I have heard instances of IPB forum not working with Apple.  OS's and browsers need to make their codes all industry standard...that would help, LOL!

Right, standardize...

That'll happen when they stop with planned obsolescence as well. 

cheers

Brett

I'll fire up my MacBook Pro later this evening and see if I can get the same issues - I haven't used it in forever (my buddy fished it out of a dumpster, I fixed it, and he gave it to me when his daughter couldn't figure it out... I just use it for traveling anymore).

I typically use Chrome (even on the Dumpster Mac) and have noticed that Safari occasionally behaves differently, depending on the website.

Interesting you mention the planned obsolescence - I took DM to the Apple Store in San Antonio back in 2009 after I first acquired it (it's an A1206 15" from 2008 and had a smoked stripe in the LCD, that the previous owner simply decided to just throw away), and picked up a new battery and power supply - great customer service and enjoyable experience.  When I went back about 5 years ago (Dang, it's been THAT long), I went back to that same Apple Store to get another battery and some more RAM... to which I was told the machine was no longer supported, they were surprised it still even runs, it was definitely NOT upgradable, and they couldn't help me.  Are you effin' kidding me?!  It's a $2800 laptop!!  I was pissed.  So, about a month after being told by the snarky hipsters that Dumpster Mac was no longer supportable, I did a little research, got online, and later jammed in 6GB of RAM and a new battery I found at NewEgg.com.  Then the fun began: it took a little bit of time and IT Guy trickery, but I upgraded the original OSX to El Capitan. It now runs like a scalded dog once again - after just 2 afternoons of upgrading from Leopard 10.5, to Snow Leopard 10.6, then updating that to 10.6.8, performing a BIOS flash (to accept the new RAM and prepare for the nextgen MacOS), then finally finding macOS El Capitan 10.11 to download and install.

Nothing like the feeling of prolonging the life of a basically 'free' $2800 laptop... especially after being told by so-called experts that it can't be done.  I think the idea of planned obsolescence is not necessarily a horrible thing - within reason of course, but when we're talking about several thousand dollars of investment for equipment that still has lots of life available, I have issues with the more proprietary companies pulling that crap.  It's not like the replacements are any cheaper or anything.  It probably has something to do with my affection for old (read: "not disposable") cars... Why can't something that's still operationally sound and perfectly good continue to be of service and/or enjoyed - much like our cars?  I guess I'm just weird or something. ;)

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Why can't something that's still operationally sound and perfectly good continue to be of service and/or enjoyed - much like our cars?  I guess I'm just weird or something. ;)

There's no money in it by the OEM.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg