Correct rubber drain plugs for lower rear quarters on a '73 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
I cannot find the right rubber plugs for this purpose. 

In the rubber plug kit D1ZZ-6511135-K

71-73-gummistopfensatz-13tlg.jpg

there aren't these plugs. The '73 needs 4 of them. The inner lower quarter side panels to the trunk ave 4 round holes on a '73 Mustang

quartepaneldrainplughole_small.jpg

whereas the '71/'72 have only one drain plug hole with a square opnening above them for the rectangular so called drain valves C7ZZ-6511202-A. 

drainplughole2.jpg

quarterpaneldraininstalled_small.jpg

fendervents1_small.jpg

So does anybody know which of the round plugs out there does fit the holes in the quarter panels? 

Besides the kit and the quarter panel plugs do I need some others for the car? 

Depending on how much originality you want to preserve, you could measure the diameter and get a capped grommet from the hardware store or get one of those kits with a lot of grommets.

Depending on how much originality you want to preserve, you could measure the diameter and get a capped grommet from the hardware store or get one of those kits with a lot of grommets.
I ordered the '70 kit - with around 40 grommets there are enough around which will fit  :thumb:

Hmmm. Those four round plugs in the middle of your diagram look like the correct ones?

96F369EA-D0FE-4B9D-9160-0D3E8AF2324C.jpeg

Hmmm. Those four round plugs in the middle of your diagram look like the correct ones?

View attachment 52622
Ken, 

I think so, too. I ordered some extra plugs of that size off of a '70 kit so I will have enough to plug that holes away. Thanks for the pic of yours! 

Are you talking in the drop off or on the floor trunk. In the drop off it is an odd shaped plug with a built in drain if I recall correct.
Drop Off. For 71/72 you are right, there are some rubber drain valves. The 73 is once more special in this point, too. It has round plugs all around, the front ones have a small cut in the sheet metal above them. I found some plugs in a standard set for the 1970 Mustang... The usual 71-73 rubber plug set do not have them...

Back