Disco brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nin

Reaction score
Has any one put a suspension from a different car on the mustang to get disc brakes. 
I was told buy the guy the sold me my car the he was about to put a crown vic’s suspension to upgrade the car braking and handling. Is this possible? Thanks 

I have a 1971 grande 351m/400

None of those front suspension parts bolt on. You can do a rear disc swap from the late model Crown Vic that's a fairly bolt on deal. 

Front discs are easy, several companies make drum to disc swap kits, or source a factory setup. Wilwood, Leed Brakes or go with a Mustang Steve caliper bracket. Keep in mind that many of these will not fit a stock 14" wheel, some require 17" or 18". 

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch?year=1971&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Drum+Brake+Front+Spindle&axle=Front+Kit

https://leedbrakes.com/c-1064538-front-disc-brake-conversion-kits.html

Has any one put a suspension from a different car on the mustang to get disc brakes. 
I was told buy the guy the sold me my car the he was about to put a crown vic’s suspension to upgrade the car braking and handling. Is this possible? Thanks 

I have a 1971 grande 351m/400
I have several complete disc set ups pulled from parts cars for a swap out

PM me for more info

The front and rear suspensions of the '98 to '12 Crown Vics would be a nice upgrade, and the front suspension has become popular for retrofitting to older cars and pickups.

The problem, the Crown Vic is wider, with a 63.4 inch front track width, compared to 61.5 inches for our cars. The rear  track width is 65.3 inches, compared to 61.0 inches for our Mustangs.

You can't compensate the wider track width of the Crown Vics by going to a wheel with more backspacing (positive offset) because the Crown Vics already have a wheel that is basically flat faced with a lot of positive offset. This would require a custom, narrowed front suspension. The Crown Vic rear axle would also require narrowing, plus a lot of chassis work, as it is a 4-link Watt's linkage rear end.

You can buy all of the parts needed from a 71-73 donor car for the front discs, buy a complete upgrade kit for the front and/or rear brakes, or buy a conversion kit from Mustang Steve that are for retrofitting newer Mustang front or rear disk brakes.

Back