How wide is this gap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71TexasBoss

Reaction score
What is the width of this gap between lower panel and stripe above?  Nothing after Google search and 429megasite is not clear on this width.

Side.jpg

Is the stripe only on a boss 351? or all mach 1s ?? 

My car is still in the paint shop but I bet they would like that measurement as well :)  THANKS

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/lowerstripe1a_small.jpg       http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/lowerstripe2a_small.jpg

Lower Blackout

The photos above show dimensions for the lower blackout and the pin stripe. Note the seam at the rocker panel is used as reference point.

Ford used a special lower body tape stripe to make the pin stripe above the lower blackout. It consisted of (from top to bottom), the pin stripe, then the space, then a 3/4" stripe. The 3/4" stripe covered the merge paint line between the lower paint, and the upper body color. The lower color was sprayed on the car first, then maybe covered/masked over quickly, then the body color was sprayed. The wide (3/4") bottom section of the lower stripe went over the lower body paint merge line to give it a clean straight edge. These stripe kits came in either black or argent to match the lower body color.

This was from the 429 Megasite

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the stripe only on a boss 351? or all mach 1s ?? 

My car is still in the paint shop but I bet they would like that measurement as well :)  THANKS

The only cars that were standard with the side stripe are the Boss 351 and the 71 Spring Special coupes, and they used this stripe. 71-72 Mach 1s came with the lower body bright molding as standard (as well as the 72-73 Exterior Decor Group cars). The molding would be deleted if the side stripes were ordered, and the special two-component stripe would be used to cover the masking line. If you see a car with moldings and side stripes, you can be fairly certain it didn't have the stripes from the factory. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I repeat, what is the gap between the pinstripe and the lower blackout in the picture above? The 429 megasite does not identify. 

"It consisted of (from top to bottom), the pinstripe, then the space, then a 3/4" stripe."

How wide is "the space"?

I have an original never painted 1972 Mach 1 and it has the tape stripe and not the aluminum trim. I think the aluminum trim only came on 1971 cars without the strip just said Mach 1 on fender. Decor Group and Mach 1 in 72 got the tape down there. Here are a couple pics of the car I can measure tomorrow. This car is also a T-5 verified with a Marti Report but also says Mustang on the fender. There were two ways to order a T-5 in Germany. If going to a German owner got T-5 badging and KPH speedo. If a soldier ordered and was bringing home got Mustang badging and MPH speedo.

DSC_1277.JPG

DSC_1278.JPG

Back