Hi all. What's the website I can post to looking for my original motor and transmission? Thanks.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just what I was told in the past. The holder of the title is the owner of the engine and transmission unless they have a BOS showing that they purchased them. I was trying to sell a Kaiser Darrian to Harrahs back in the 70's and they would not touch a car that did not match. They said the holder of the title could legally take the engine and transmission and you could do nothing unless you had BOS showing you had purchased it. A local guy found his original Boss 429 by the holder of the engine contacting him from a Boss register. He got one of the first 50 prototypes but the engine and VIN dd not mactch so he got a deal. When he got the original engine it more than doubled the value. Some shops do alter the number to match also. I know an engine shop that had an engine and the owner had someone come in to alter and they had to leave. When they left the numbers matched. A wealthy person so money talks.

Interesting info David. But here in Alabama, and some other states, cars older than a certain year aren't titled. As a matter of fact, the people at the DMV here get mad at me if a present a title when I buy an old Mustang. They typically say, "We don't need that. All we need is a Bill of Sale." They inspect the car and give me a registration certificate. That gives me ownership of the car. It gives me the right to do whatever I want to do with it. If the car is too rusty to build, I can part it out. Then I can sell the parts, including the engine or transmission. I find it hard to believe that anyone who presents a title from 20 years ago for a car registered in my name can claim ownership of any parts from the car. I don't think Alabama would prosecute the case. After all, they inspected the car and the paperwork and gave ownership of the car to me. If what you say is true, that someone with an old title is the owner of the original motor, then you would think it would follow that if a car is legally registered in my name in a state that doesn't title such cars, and if I find the motor to that car somewhere else, that I can force the person who possesses that motor to hand it over to me for free. That seems like a stretch. I would expect that if I find an original motor to any of the cars I own and want it back, I'll have to pay whatever the person who possesses it wants me to pay. I think the key difference is that we are talking about cars that are 50 years old. A lot of things can happen to a car in 50 years. You were talking about an experience in the 70's. Those rules might apply today for a car that's a few years old but you'd probably have to have a police report documenting the motor as having been stolen. It is, however, an interesting topic for discussion. Here's what I'll do if I find the motor to one of my cars on the boss302 forum. I'll demand that the person who has it hand it over to me immediately. When he asks why, I'll say, "because David said so!"lol.

Just repeating information given directly to me by what use to be the largest car collection in the U.S.A. Harrahs in Reno Nevada. He had over 3,200 restored cars and probably a 1,000 that were not. I took pictures of a Kaiser Darrian. It was the first fiberglass car not corvette. I had found in Asheville, NC. They ask if the engine and chassis number matched. I told them that I had not checked that close. They then filled me in with the info that if you did not have the right motor and someone came with title they could take. They said would not be interested in any car that did not match. Not something I made up what I was told by the accounting people at the museum when it was still private. It is now been broken up and all cars sold. A title is a title. The engine has a VIN# and the Body has same VIN#. I guess it just depends on how good your attorney is. I would try calling FBI but did so in past with another question and they ignored me, lol.
Not something I said something I repeated from the largest car collection in the U.S. at that time.
When I ever get an appointment with the DOT here I will ask them. I have been trying for over 2 months. I have no drivers license. You have to do by appointment and every time I go to their site they say no appointments available.
They do the inspections of any out of state cars here before they get a NC title which all require. My 1950 Fords all have titles except one from Georgia and they did not have then.

Good info David. To be clear, how do you think it would help me in my current situation? I sit still a good idea to look for the original motor to my Cougar? And I guess you're saying that if someone replies I should verify and then tell them they need to give me the motor back? And if they don't I could probably hire an attorney here to prosecute? Please let me know what the DMV says. I doubt I could get ant info of any kind from the DMV here. Do you think a registration in a non-title state like mine here would have as much clout as a title? Thanks. Kevin.

Just repeating information given directly to me by what use to be the largest car collection in the U.S.A. Harrahs in Reno Nevada. He had over 3,200 restored cars and probably a 1,000 that were not. I took pictures of a Kaiser Darrian. It was the first fiberglass car not corvette. I had found in Asheville, NC. They ask if the engine and chassis number matched. I told them that I had not checked that close. They then filled me in with the info that if you did not have the right motor and someone came with title they could take. They said would not be interested in any car that did not match. Not something I made up what I was told by the accounting people at the museum when it was still private. It is now been broken up and all cars sold. A title is a title. The engine has a VIN# and the Body has same VIN#. I guess it just depends on how good your attorney is. I would try calling FBI but did so in past with another question and they ignored me, lol.
Not something I said something I repeated from the largest car collection in the U.S. at that time.
When I ever get an appointment with the DOT here I will ask them. I have been trying for over 2 months. I have no drivers license. You have to do by appointment and every time I go to their site they say no appointments available.
They do the inspections of any out of state cars here before they get a NC title which all require. My 1950 Fords all have titles except one from Georgia and they did not have then.
Here maybe this will help

For additional questions or concerns, send a message or call the NCDMV Customer Contact Center at (919) 715-7000 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. weekdays.

Back