snow peformance? any ideas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

use it?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • have not idea and make me the lab rat

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang
well i was looking at this kit for my 351c and one for my 2k 4x4 4.6 f150 have been doing some research on it seems rather sound but was wondering everyones take here on it? any one use it any one know any one who has it/uses it just a bit pricy but being that i get 15mpg it might be worth it on my truck

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=76

ya i know its like 770 for kit for the truck but like 500 for the stang but i need the car RUNNING AND DRIVING before that happens.. it will be sad a 600hp 351c gets better mpg that my fuel injected truck.....

steve what rims are those? on your blue stang? and size please

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, 3 mpg is not much. You might not like hearing this but you can fairly easily get a 3 mpg gain just by altering your driving habits. I've done this & gotten consistent results on all my cars. I wouldn't buy something that yeilds mediocre results. Have you done a break even analysis?

Cost per mile at 15 mpg in your truck is $0.233/mile. At 18 mpg it is $0.194/mile. So the difference is $0.04/mile after you install the product. You will have to drive how many miles @ $0.04/mile to recover your $750 bucks? Answer is $750/0.04= 18750 miles.

Worth it? Not in my book. Especially when you can do the same thing without a gimmick product.

ya i know its like 770 for kit for the truck but like 500 for the stang but i need the car RUNNING AND DRIVING before that happens.. it will be sad a 600hp 351c gets better mpg that my fuel injected truck.....

steve what rims are those? on your blue stang? and size please
Hey homeless, that's actually not my car, it's a pic that flatback72 photoshopped. But those rims should be 18" bullitt rims that are blacked out. Check out American Muscle, they have those rims.

That car is my inspiration!

ahh very true don, so in like 6 months it will pay for itself...... (i drive lots) and belive you me i do try and drive very consertively its this for the truck or a kn intake kit. or something along those lines Thanks for the input
I drive a lot too...many months 5k miles. I clocked 2k miles just last week. My answer was to get a very reliable but very cheap to operate driver car. Itcurrently has just shy of 300k miles. My car of choice...a VW Golf TDI diesel.

I recently bought its replacement a 2010 Jetta TDI.

I bought this car because I was going to give the golf to my 17 year old son. He wanted a mustang so now I have 2 TDIs. I like the new car better but the golf is very peppy and has 200k more miles left in it. I'm thinking about selling the Jetta and continuing the mission with the golf.

Here's a link to fuelly where you can compare the different cars and trucks & gas vs. diesel of the same model.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/

Appx price of a 00/03 model Golf or Jetta appx $4500.

Foobert's TDI car hunt

Let's just leave it that $764 buys a lot of fuel.

I bought a gas truck because I couldn't justify the $7000 premium of a diesel truck. I did the math and to amortize the cost of the diesel engine over the gas, it would take nearly 450K miles, and there is no guarantee of what MPG I would have gotten with the diesel.

If you want to save gas, drive less, plan your routes better and keep your foot out of it. If you want something to help you, get a ScanGauge II. It's $150 or so and does a lot more than just instant mileage...

Let's just leave it that $764 buys a lot of fuel.

I bought a gas truck because I couldn't justify the $7000 premium of a diesel truck. I did the math and to amortize the cost of the diesel engine over the gas, it would take nearly 450K miles, and there is no guarantee of what MPG I would have gotten with the diesel.

If you want to save gas, drive less, plan your routes better and keep your foot out of it. If you want something to help you, get a ScanGauge II. It's $150 or so and does a lot more than just instant mileage...
+1 hemikiller! I also use a ScanGaugeII. Excellent tool but it only works on 96+ newer cars. Lol!...keep your foot out of it - that really is the best advice to save fuel.

My guess is that it plugs into the OBD-II DLC (data link connector) and displays the real time and average mpgs.

Here's the link

http://www.scangauge.com/

As far as a performance OBD-II based gauge, PLX Devices makes a good product or so my local speed shop tunner says.

http://www.plxdevices.com/multigauges.html
The scangauge does a lot more than tell instant and ave mpgs. It tells any engine function that is reported to the computer.

+1 on Hemikiller's input. The Snow system is especially popular with late model owners with superchargers. From what I learned when I looked at them a few years ago it does work but,is expensive and you'd better make sure reservoir is not empty when you go to WOT with the fuel and timing curve adjusted to use the water/methanol injection. Of course they sell another expensive add on to help make sure that does not happen. Water/methanol injection isn't new. I remember seeing very crude kits in the late 60s and I think it was around before that. Chuck

The scangauge does a lot more than tell instant and ave mpgs. It tells any engine function that is reported to the computer.
That's cool and quite useful. Too bad I don't have any OBD-II equipped cars. :s Oh well.

Don, I like your points! For the same 750 bucks, you could go buy a 1984 Honda Magna V45 motorcycle, get great mileage out of it, and not put any miles on your Mustang! IMHO, constantly spraying water and alcohol into your combustion chamber is cooling the metal too quickly which will probably hurt you more in the long run. They claim that it increases your compression ratio giving you better fuel mileage, but lets be honest, if you wanted a good gas mileage car you would be driving a Yaris, not a 600hp Mustang...right?

Don, I like your points! For the same 750 bucks, you could go buy a 1984 Honda Magna V45 motorcycle, get great mileage out of it, and not put any miles on your Mustang! IMHO, constantly spraying water and alcohol into your combustion chamber is cooling the metal too quickly which will probably hurt you more in the long run. They claim that it increases your compression ratio giving you better fuel mileage, but lets be honest, if you wanted a good gas mileage car you would be driving a Yaris, not a 600hp Mustang...right?
Thanks. I reread what I wrote and thought I sounded like a VW used car salesman. I bleed Ford blue, but I also drive a ton of junk miles and don't want to kill any of my Fords like that...although I did put 5k miles on my Excursion in June and then another 5k on it in July. Most, almost all, of those miles were towing, & part of the towing was 3 new to me Mach 1s all over the southeast to get them home. Those were NOT junk miles though. :D

Back