Tilt steering column installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
So I’ve removed my 1971 tilt column to replace my worn rag joint and I can’t re-install the column for the life of me.  I ended up installing the joint on the steering gear and I believe I’ve inserted the end of the column shaft into the rag joint but I can’t get it in the last inch or so.  I’m hesitant to use a mallet on the steering column as I’m not sure if I’ll damage anything.

looking for some advice on how to proceed.

If I recall, there is a bolt that you loosen and the center shaft of the column is adjustable. You may have pushed the shaft in a little when you took it out, and it needs to be extended again.

Steve

I thought that might be it and I removed the bolt completely.  No difference.  For those that have installed a steering column does it usually just slide right in or is some force required?

The coupling is different but the rag joint is the same. I have 5 tilt columns. The column is collapsible so if you push the steering column will go up inside the housing. You have to pull it back out to get it on the steering box or join the joint. The shaft will pull out of the column couple inches and stay connected. You need two people probably. I should have done pics since I did three in past 5 years. I get the rag joint on the Help rack at the parts stores. NAPA sells the bolt and pin kits to install.

It’s been awhile since I did mine. I did it by myself and it was a pain. As I recall the end of the steering column is semi circled with a flat side that needs to align with the rag joint.  The pinch bolt should be loose. 

Back