Steering wheel nut torque spec

14 minutes ago, midlife said:

Gutentight?

25-35 ft-lbs for 1966.

Yeah, something must be up with mine. I have a Volante s6 steering wheel and if I crank it that tight I won't be able to turn the wheel?

www.puregemdetailing.com

That is something I have noticed with steering wheel adapters.  I hate to say it but the one I have had the best luck with is a billet CJ pony parts house brand one. I have had to cut some down on the lathe because of how far they go down the taper on the steering shaft causing binding.

5 hours ago, Bentworker said:

That is something I have noticed with steering wheel adapters.  I hate to say it but the one I have had the best luck with is a billet CJ pony parts house brand one. I have had to cut some down on the lathe because of how far they go down the taper on the steering shaft causing binding.

Can you provide a link so I know the correct one? Which steering wheels will work with it?

www.puregemdetailing.com

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bentworker said:

CJ part number STWA65-V  

Fair warning I did have to take a skim cut on the lathe to make it clear the steering column, but it is the least crappy adapter I have found.

Lol. Ill look into it. I'm sure the adapter I have is not going to pop off but there is really isn't anything more I can do with it except crank it down as far as I can to the point that it still let's me rotate the wheel...

Edited by 73' mach 1

www.puregemdetailing.com