Need dash and instrument panel help.

I have a 71 convertible and the Instrument panel is mostly dead. I’ve tried to take the instrument panel out a few times and cannot get it out. It feels like the speedometer cable  is extremely tight, when I undo the four instrument  panel screws, the panel actually gets pulled inward! I tried following the speedometer cable through the firewall and it might be pinched behind the brake booster for my power brakes. How much FreePlay do you guys have in your speedometer cable?

I can’t get my hand on the back of anything, I tried from below I even took the dash pad and metal plate off the top and can’t get in through there either.

I also tried taking off the center stack and going through the empty radio space couldn’t get anywhere either through there. What’s the secret for taking apart The instrument cluster? I need to get it out and test it and see if I can get it brought to life because the next step is to replace the entire wiring harness.

Mine has enough free play that I can pull the cluster out far enough to get my hand behind it to squeeze the tab and release it.

Someone may have replaced yours with one that is too short. If it's not hung up on something you may have to disconnect it from the transmission so you can pull it into the cabin.

• Like 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

With a dash pad remove look through the window windshield you should look down and see where the cable goes into this barometer put your hand in there and push down on the collar and remove it

6 hours ago, B229218 said:

With a dash pad remove look through the window windshield you should look down and see where the cable goes into this barometer put your hand in there and push down on the collar and remove it

Surely you mean the speedometer?

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg