Need dash and instrument panel help.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
I have a 71 convertible and the Instrument panel is mostly dead. I’ve tried to take the instrument panel out a few times and cannot get it out. It feels like the speedometer cable  is extremely tight, when I undo the four instrument  panel screws, the panel actually gets pulled inward! I tried following the speedometer cable through the firewall and it might be pinched behind the brake booster for my power brakes. How much FreePlay do you guys have in your speedometer cable?

I can’t get my hand on the back of anything, I tried from below I even took the dash pad and metal plate off the top and can’t get in through there either.

I also tried taking off the center stack and going through the empty radio space couldn’t get anywhere either through there. What’s the secret for taking apart The instrument cluster? I need to get it out and test it and see if I can get it brought to life because the next step is to replace the entire wiring harness.

Mine has enough free play that I can pull the cluster out far enough to get my hand behind it to squeeze the tab and release it.

Someone may have replaced yours with one that is too short. If it's not hung up on something you may have to disconnect it from the transmission so you can pull it into the cabin.

With a dash pad remove look through the window windshield you should look down and see where the cable goes into this barometer put your hand in there and push down on the collar and remove it

With a dash pad remove look through the window windshield you should look down and see where the cable goes into this barometer put your hand in there and push down on the collar and remove it
Surely you mean the speedometer?

Yes, and dont call me shirley!! :classic_biggrin:

LOL, Go easy on him. I have same problem with spell check.
On the cable. As stated you should be able to get to it from above it. Have you dropped the steering column down out of the way? Four nuts on studs two on each side.
I have issue with the 73 vert I got from California. I have never been able to hook up the cable probably 2" too short to get to the cluster. Was not attached when I got the car. I pulled the whole dash out and put back when replacing the hacked up harness.
There was a dealer option for speed control for these cars but I have never found a full set. I got part of it from Branda years ago but never the switch.
The PO of my car had switched the transmission from FMX to a C-4 and I suspect that the cables are different lengths but do not know for sure. I use GPS for speedo now.
If anyone knows for sure the cables were different for FMX and C-4 I for sure would like to know. I have a parts car that was 3 speed but have never checked the cable length.

Back