Trunk lid question!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
My 71 convertible trunk lid is lower on the driver side in the passenger side. My understanding is is due to the metal spring rod. My trunk lid does not have any rubber bumpers toward the outer rear edge, however it appears there are flat spots where maybe some are supposed to be mounted and maybe were filled in. So the question is, do you guys have rubber bumpers to support your trunk in the corners at the back of the car near the tail lights. And can you send pictures? Pictures of your rubber bumpers that is!

C6D39684-0A1F-4F5D-AE2A-EA7849EB18AA.jpeg

8EF0453E-6FF8-4442-A5E4-F435608CD4E4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 71 convertible trunk lid is lower on the driver side in the passenger side. My understanding is is due to the metal spring rod. My trunk lid does not have any rubber bumpers toward the outer rear edge, however it appears there are flat spots where maybe some are supposed to be mounted and maybe were filled in. So the question is, do you guys have rubber bumpers to support your trunk in the corners at the back of the car near the tail lights. And can you send pictures? Pictures of your rubber bumpers that is!

View attachment 52888

View attachment 52889
The dimples you mentioned were a '71 only thing, '72/'73 do not have them. Perhaps it was supposed to be a rubber bumper there once in the development of the cars but in the end none of them rolled out with a bumper there. 

Interesting. I have those in my 71 but nothing there. I ended up adding a pin switch on that bump for an alarm, which works great. Maybe it was meant for a trunk light switch or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back