Correct harness routing for map light installation

I got a great map light. Cleaned it up and had previously spliced into my existing harness to upgrade to the convenience group (I repurposed a plug from a hacked up harness). Light works as expected however I am not sure my splice work providing enough spare length to install correctly. It looks like there is no obvious hole for an original harness so I simply have it on top of the dash. I can splice in additional length if needed.

16260327798155739584516996330798.jpg

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

I got my car with the map light spliced and laid out exactly as yours. However, that's not to say that's how it should be.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I ran mine wiring up along the inside of the bezel.  There is enough room for the connector on the right side at the top by the map light.  

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

For what it is worth, I ran my wiring through the tri gauge cluster hole, and then routed it up and around the glove box/cubby hole...as I had some extra length of wire on my splice.

I was thinking about going the same as your route, but I wasn’t sure of how the dash pad cover would fit over the wiring and/or the friction/rub on the wires over time underneath the dash pad.

cheers

The electrical assembly manual from Jim Osborne makes it look like the cable runs along the inside of the center dash, under the main dash top.  It appears to emerge to the side of the lamp itself.  Not sure if that can actually happen, but I have a complete dash hanging on the wall I can take a look at this evening.

---

Mike

Thx for all the responses. I should have taken pics when I was replacing the dash pad on my Mach (it has this option).

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

It does look like there is room for the cable to go under the dash frame behind the center dash panel.  I'm not sure you can fish the connector through without taking the center dash panel off.

---

Mike