Let me see that junk in your trunk....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
Love to see some pics and hear some details about how you guys hold stuff down in the trunk. Right now when I go around a corner or hit a big bump, it sounds like I dropped a box of silverware down a flight of stairs. My trunk is completely bare. Finally figured out how to mount the spare, but how do you hold things down like the jack, tools, spare parts, mud wrestling trophies etc. from sliding around? I don't really care about being factory correct as this car is far from that, but I'd prefer to use the factory mounting points and hardware if I can and it's affordable. 

Also, I assume there are supposed to be filler boards or something for the sides, is that right? Any repop source for those? And finally, do you guys have a mat or carpet down or go bare metal like mine is now? I suppose having a rug or mat back there might help with things sliding and quiet things down a bit. 

Thanks

I have a carpet that is supposed to be for our year cars. I also use a folding chair to hold my tool box and first aid kit in. I always try to wedge whatever I put in the against each other to help keep stuff flying around. No filler piece on the ends either, but I’m sure you could make something easily for there if you wanted. And when I take my car to the golf course I just turn the chair sideways and push it forward. Then I can get my clubs in and everything stays put pretty good. I don’t bother carrying a spare tire when I’m close to home. If I was traveling far away, then I would want a spare. But I pretty much hang around town.

33A4C5D0-9559-4B65-A803-4AB6AD1C03AF.jpeg

CFFFF2A5-C3A9-4803-B15F-8AA8B1F3854A.jpeg

5B5C3DF0-92B4-4D22-B78D-C9083945DBE5.jpeg

C4A64A7C-3CB8-4982-B2F1-BA88604EA974.jpeg

Oh that's good. I like the chair idea a lot actually. And after seeing what a trunk can look like, now I'm going to be self conscious about mine. 

I have a lot of stuff wedged in the trunk drop-offs and a couple bags between the spare tire and top. When I did my long haul trip I had two cardboard boxes without top cover filled with spare parts and miscellaneous stuff.

Sawed off body parts seem to fit well into the side pockets, if you can stand the smell. :biggrin:

The previous owner of my car made a little “corral” out of some stiff cardboard and carpeting. He even put a mustang logo in there, albeit with a broken tail…but it seems to hold all my extra parts ok! 

72080892-CB23-4693-AA7D-6C95E703440D.jpeg

2FF895EB-B45F-41A5-A93C-868BAEE16EF0.jpeg

6205A942-0E18-43FE-8027-A61E9821E5AD.jpeg

5A0D2516-D0B4-4F33-9ADC-0BC5F7DB8E4C.jpeg

@Fredensborg That's interesting. Never thought of closing things off like that. Interesting and pretty tidy. 

@midlife Remind me never to accept a ride from you when I'm hitchhiking. 

@tony-muscle Good point, maybe I'm over thinking this. Use the sides as pockets and just box up everything else for now. Those sides were full of 30+ years of crap and debris from the trunk so just wanted to close them off to keep more junk from going down there. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fredensborg That's interesting. Never thought of closing things off like that. Interesting and pretty tidy. 

@midlife Remind me never to accept a ride from you when I'm hitchhiking. 

@tony-muscle Good point, maybe I'm over thinking this. Use the sides as pockets and just box up everything else for now. Those sides were full of 30+ years of crap and debris from the trunk so just wanted to close them off to keep more junk from going down there. 

Thanks for the feedback!
I think the drop offs are ideal to store stuff. Clean them well and use them. The only concern is not too damage the wiring to the side marker.

Grande only 71-3 model that ever came with a trunk mat.   I leave my convertible  au natural.    If I have to carry some stuff I now have a moving blanket I use.

Ray

My car came with the carpet, spare wheel cover and matching tool. I assume the previous owner got all this stuff. It is not my favorite look but that's what it came with. I redid my trunk a few years ago and coated with bedliner. I guess the carpet will make it a bit more quiet with all the stuff I have back there.

What Ray said about the Grande is correct. The Grande got a trunk mat but it was not plastic like the sell. It was what I think is called a needled material. Similar to a thick piece of felt. There were two thick solid cardboard pieces to close off the drop off also on the Grande only. I have a 73 Grande that still has the original mat in it and the two card boards. The older mustangs had a hard board piece but not 71 - 73. Your jack instructions should show you how to store the jack and jack handle. I bought one of the soft sided tool carry things at Harbor Freight that I put some tools in, glass cleaner, towels and such when going to a show. The PO of my vert had put one of the plastic mats in the trunk so I just left it nobody knows how it was from factory, lol.
The trunk spatter paint is a hit and miss thing. There was also a half half ass attempt to spray a little sound dreading on the inside of the quarter panels. Humans did not do a very good job back then a robot does much better. Some pics of my original trunk. I just put in another post. Side marker lights, wiring, tail light housing, seal around gas filler and rubber plugs all had over spray on them and some across the bottom of the trap door. The gray on the spare is mold that was washed off when I cleaned it up. The soft tool bag is similar to this one but not the same. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-tool-tote-with-18-pockets-61471.html

100_2222.JPG

100_2223.JPG

100_2224.JPG

DSC_0951.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG

DSC_0953.JPG

DSC_0954.JPG

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0945 (2).JPG

20210327_142411.jpg

When I bought this car back in 08, it came with an original set of 1971 Ford Mustang (and other models) manuals, the original Autolite 4300 carb, some other bits and pieces along with this, a "brand new" never been on the car spare wheel and tire which I still have stored away. I only put it back in the trunk for some shows as a talking point. Oh, I forgot the plaid mat that shouldn't really be there.

IMG_0540.1.JPG

IMG_0541.1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that have the fold down rear seat option in the sports roof and dont have a space saver spare.. Do you guys still carry a full size spare? If so what do you do with it. There seems to be no room in the trunk for a full size spare? Im looking to see if a modern space saver (full size but narrow wheel and tyre) fits any better. Pictures would be handy.

As I have zero use for the rear seats I went this route.

XqxBrxv.jpg

IMG_8170 (1).jpg

Back