Door sag?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredensborg

I like music, languages, weaponry, and freedom.
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
My driver side door has always needed a little help closing by gently lifting up on it a little as you close it. I always figured this was just due to 50 years of use. Here is a quick video, and a couple pics of my door components, anything seem obviously wrong? 

4CDCA6AB-BA6D-4813-AD28-87E66084BF08.jpeg

34C62664-B8EA-483C-955E-F4A28F148510.jpeg

6D44EB91-3978-4773-8470-E823D49C94EE.jpeg

0BB41CB1-A9C3-493C-8EEC-2888B1CB1E35.jpeg

Trust me, the doors are heavy suckers. Take the door off the hinges first. You'll need help to steady the door. Once off take the hinges of the frame. The plates that the bolts go into behind are loose, but they won't drop. Scared the crap out of me, but I was able to pick up the threads no problem. Mark them before removing or drill and pin them for location. If the hinges have moved, you'll need to reposition them.

The doors look heavy as hell! What is the part that is worn out? The pins? My hinge arms don’t look damaged in any way, they are identical to the passenger side which operates just fine. 

I have allot of time for the guys at west coast classic cougar....allot of their videos are very well done.

So much so, that I have started buying parts from them.

My local mustang shop takes forever and a day to get me the parts that I order...perhaps the sign of the times and the supply chain issues (been waiting for months for my last order)

in fact I am expecting some parts to arrive from them in the next few days, that I ordered last week

cheers

While you have the door off will be a great time to take the guts out clean and add new grease. It is just bolts and screws.
Now when you put the rebuilt hinges back on the door is not magically going to work like new. At the factory they had a huge hydraulic machine that bent the door so fit the quarter panel and rocker box. Then the front fender was adjusted to the door. By bending I mean the surface that the hinge bolts to on the door can actually be bent or bowed to the front to give less gap at the quarter or pushed in to make more gap at the quarter. I use strips of cardboard under the door to get it sitting parallel to the rocker box. You can put a floor jack under the door to bend up and lay on it to bend down. It is not just put the bolts in and it line up. I run a tap in the tapping plates in the A pillar and yes they do sometimes fall down inside the A post and then you have to get in there and put them back.
I probably have a latch pin for the door post that is better than your worn one also.
Your car appears to be a Sportsroof with the rocker moldings and the protection package that was not available on Mach 1. What is your VIN#? You could get Mach 1 sports interior on the sportsroof.

Back