Unobtanium… Show those hard to find parts in your stash…

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
Curious to see what rare or hard to find 71-3 parts people have hiding away in their garage, basement, attic, grandma’s house… Thought I would start with the smallest part I have sitting in a bowl on my office desk. I’ll have to get it installed in the J Code Vert as soon as I get the carb back on the car… Took me three years to find this little gem in near perfect shape. $40 is what it cost me. Big or small, lets see what you are hoarding from other 71-3 owners!

1537DC78-197C-48BF-880B-7B1F92F9C03B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice one, Ken! One of the ultimate ones, congratz to your find  :thumb:  Here is my ultimate find of my life - two turn signal/parking light assemblies with orange lenses, original made only for the German market T5's. Considering only 531 '73 T5's were made I had some luck to find a decent pair for a very good price, took me only 7 years  :biggrin:  There is a pair still out there, but he wants around 1.000 dollars - too much for two yellow lenses in my opinion... So I had quite luck to find these  :wrench:

s-l160039rjad.jpg

It took me forever to find the correct rev limiter for my car, at a price that didn't cause a heart attack. Full disclosure, I did have a stamp made to "refresh" the original that was in pretty poor shape. 

MyRevLimiter.jpg

It took me forever to find the correct rev limiter for my car, at a price that didn't cause a heart attack. Full disclosure, I did have a stamp made to "refresh" the original that was in pretty poor shape. 

View attachment 53141
If it was my B!, I certainly would have looked for and done as you did. many fake Rev Limiter set ups out there, but nothing like installing NOS on a nice car. Good score.

Unfortunately it wasn't NOS. It was used and ugly, but was a real rev limiter, with the "right" date code range. I have a bead blast cabinet so cleaned it with glass beads and re-stamped it. I don't even know if it works because I haven't started the restoration yet, but figured I couldn't go very wrong for $350.

Steve

This is not a part but I have not seen too many around. It is an 8 track manual for 1973 Fords. I bought this from a place called "The Glove Box Shop" who have all sorts of original manuals.

8 Track manual 1.jpg

8 Track manual 2.jpg

8 Track manual 3.jpg

No picture, technical difficulties, but I have a D2 4 bolt block that has been vatted, magged, sonic tested, and will for sure clean up at +.020. Also have 1 set left of B351 bare heads. Chuck

Lol I was one of those that bought the parts when the cars were new and put them up. Do not have pictures but from memory here are a few.
NOS 1971 - 1973 T-5 dash stickers went above the radio if no gauges.
NOS rear side window rubber strips.
NOS rear window defogger switch, think I have 3 left.
NOS front Power Window motor.
NOS front valance guards a 1971 only part.
NOS Ram Air hood ducts.
NOS 1973 Forged Aluminum wheel lugs. I put on the 73 Mach 1
NOS 1973 Forged Aluminum Wheel center caps. Put a set on the Mach 1 and set on the 73 vert.
5 sets of NOS front disc brake pads I got from Daniel Carpenter.
2 sets of NOS Door speakers, wiring and grills.
Several NOS power window switches.
NOS power window bezels.
NOS front HD shocks in Ford box.
One stet of NOS rocker panel moldings.
One speed control but need one component.
NOS Ford tail light gaskets in Ford bag.
Box full of NOS tilt column parts.
I would have to go through the dozens of bins to find what I do have. I need an excel spreadsheet to keep track but no time to make it. I have bins full of NOS 1965 parts including door panels, trunk mats, rocker moldings, door sills, all the chrome and lights.
When I die all the stuff will probably go to dump my son has ZERO interest. I have over 1,000 sq. ft. of just parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am needing nos door sill plates for 71' grande
also one year only (early 71' only) plastic strip that goes on front of dash pad near windshield.
I *think* I have a pair from a grande...don't know for sure what year it was. I've never checked, but I assumed they were the same as a fastback? I also have fender and quarter extensions and most, if not all, of the trim that runs around the vinyl top. Let me know if any of that interests you and I'll snap some pics for ya.

Edit: just saw you are looking for NOS sill plates...what I have is used and perhaps not even in the best condition.

Lol I was one of those that bought the parts when the cars were new and put them up. Do not have pictures but from memory here are a few.
NOS 1971 - 1973 T-5 dash stickers went above the radio if no gauges.
NOS rear side window rubber strips.
NOS rear window defogger switch, think I have 3 left.
NOS front Power Window motor.
NOS front valance guards a 1971 only part.
NOS Ram Air hood ducts.
NOS 1973 Forged Aluminum wheel lugs. I put on the 73 Mach 1
NOS 1973 Forged Aluminum Wheel center caps. Put a set on the Mach 1 and set on the 73 vert.
5 sets of NOS front disc brake pads I got from Daniel Carpenter.
2 sets of NOS Door speakers, wiring and grills.
Several NOS power window switches.
NOS power window bezels.
NOS front HD shocks in Ford box.
One stet of NOS rocker panel moldings.
One speed control but need one component.
NOS Ford tail light gaskets in Ford bag.
Box full of NOS tilt column parts.
I would have to go through the dozens of bins to find what I do have. I need an excel spreadsheet to keep track but no time to make it. I have bins full of NOS 1965 parts including door panels, trunk mats, rocker moldings, door sills, all the chrome and lights.
When I die all the stuff will probably go to dump my son has ZERO interest. I have over 1,000 sq. ft. of just parts.
Since your son has no interest in your cars/parts, you can adopt me and I promise to take good care of everything..😎

How about a set of 71-73 Ford NOS Wheel Lip Moldings? NOS Rear side marker bezel, P/S Pitman Arm, A/C Pressure switch, Snorkel Flex Tube, 352C Service replacement flex fan (the originals were recalled because they would fly apart), NOS Autolite Paper service floor mats, NOS Standard Gas Cap, NOS 70-73 Power Disc Brake Distribution Valve, NOS P/S Cooler for A/C car, They are ugly, but correct NOS Front and Rear Ginger Floor Mats, Witek Clamps, NOS Heat Riser & Charcoal Canister Tubes, 73 NOS Rubber Bumper Guards.

20230405_191454.jpg20230405_193902.jpg20230405_194749.jpg20210217_104724.jpg20171005_083437.jpg20181218_130041-1x.jpgDSC_0219.JPGDSC_0243.JPGDSC_0254.JPGDSC_0272.JPG20180206_171635x.jpgD4AZ-6513086-A Brown-Ginger Front & D4AZ-6513106-A Rear Mats.jpgWittek #7 Hose Clamps Heater Smog Mustang a&b.jpgDSC_0946.JPG

Last edited:
That's impressive Rich :cool:
Most of the stuff I collected over the many years went into restoring my 73 Vert, such as a set of 71-73 NOS rear convertible quarter panels and a 73 NOS front fender.

Attachments

• 20150109_094718 NOS Quarters and Fender.jpg
    20150109_094718 NOS Quarters and Fender.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20160317_195628x.jpg
    20160317_195628x.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20170328_104058.jpg
    20170328_104058.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Wheel opening trim NOS, NOS rocker panel moldings, NOS hood locks and various other NOS little parts like lenses. I have two sets of the trim from the rear of the hood and fenders. NOS front bumper and NOS front hood molding chrome.

Back