My new wheel and tire combo

Oh man that's sweet, love the stance on this thing and those wheels look great! 

image.png.c5a82cdc270542869e213815ec368140.png   72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed, FiTech EFI, 8.8 / 4.10 LSD Rear end, discs all around. Fancy rattle can paint job. 

They look really good.  That particular wheel is very cool; modern performance with an aesthetic that has classic muscle-car DNA.  Great choice.

Lazarus

9-C51-EEB4-A25-A-4-F27-8-D01-0-EB879931296.jpg

As a feedback. Yesterday I went out for AutoX and these tires are awesome. This is single handily the best money spent for cornering/traction return. After six runs I kept pushing the car more and more and still was not able to reach the traction limit of the tires. I can tell that I can feel a lot more lateral force than before. It is like driving a totally different car. Highly recommended!

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I always thought that 17-inch wheels would be the largest that would look good on our cars, but that combination does look good, and has me re-thinking it.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Don C said:

I always thought that 17-inch wheels would be the largest that would look good on our cars, but that combination does look good, and has me re-thinking it.

I had 17" in my radar screen at first, but I found more options at 18". However, it takes a lot of research to find the right combo. What I wanted was a tire with enough sidewall to look good in the car. I think this combination gives me that. I didn't think a thin sidewall will look good. Unfortunately, there are a very few combinations that you can find of a performance tire, between 26.5" and 27" diameter, and staggered at 245/255 for the front and 295-315 for the rear. In my case I had to compromise with 285 although I could fit wider.

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

If anyone is curious, the Magnum 500 combo with the 245 and 295 tires weighted 49 and 54 lbs. The new combo weighs 50 and 55 lbs, respectively. Even though the new wheels are aluminum compared to the Magnum 500 steel, the new wheels are much bigger.

I'm generally not a fan of larger diameter wheels on older cars like ours.  But you absolutely nailed it!  I love the look of black in the center, chrome/silver on the outside.

What are you doing with your old Magnum 500 wheels?

Jason (71 Mach 1, 351C 4V, 4 Spd. Toploader, Grabber Blue)

7 hours ago, trillizo_y_uno said:

What are you doing with your old Magnum 500 wheels?

I may eventually sell the Magnum 500s and tire combo, but not yet.

• Like 1

Love the new wheels, looks great! Ryan

1973 Mach 1, Porsche Guards Red, 429/C6

1972 Mach 1, Grabber Blue, 302/C4, currently under construction

I'm more old school all bling bling polished wheels minded for our rides, but these fit your car as gloves! Really nice.

Michelin is not exactly a bad brand when it comes to tires! They are not cheap but you know you can trust them to keep the car on the road.
Had some on my first t-bird and I've really regretted the move to another brand.

One last thing to do: update your signature to show off the nice new shoes :D

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

19 hours ago, Fabrice said:

One last thing to do: update your signature to show off the nice new shoes :D

You are right Fabrice. I need to find a nice location for a photo.

9 hours ago, Cribbs74 said:

I think they fit perfectly, nailed it. I wouldn’t change anything if it were mine. The mudflaps are kind of distracting to the clean lines, but I understand why you want them. 

I kind of inherited the mudflaps when I bought the car. I have never thought about them since I am used to it. Now you are making me think about it, but from the practical perspective I think they help keep the car cleaner.

4 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

I kind of inherited the mudflaps when I bought the car. I have never thought about them since I am used to it. Now you are making me think about it, but from the practical perspective I think they help keep the car cleaner.

I grew up in Canada and mudflaps, snow tires, were/are used all the time on daily drivers and grocery getters. They just don’t look right to me on a muscle car. They do protect the paint on your rear quarters though. This is only my opinion and I am certainly not knocking your car whatsoever. It’s beautiful as it is. If you drive gravel roads and roast the tires often then I would keep them on. 

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks and loving this combo. An unintended consequence of these new wheels is that I can easily check the pads and bleed the brakes without removing the wheels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great and timely for me. What is the distance from the ground to the high spot of each (F/R) wheel arch?

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, EdM said:

Looks great and timely for me. What is the distance from the ground to the high spot of each (F/R) wheel arch?

26" F and 27 1/8" R.

Keep in mind that I have a front coilover suspension and have it lowered about an inch. In the rear I have lowered leaf springs with a 1" taller shackle. After the HRPT I will go back to the stock shackle to see how it looks with 1/2" less.

Edit: My tires are about 27" tall.

Edited by tony-muscle

Thanks. I have the SoT coil overs up front and 4 1/2 leaf mid-eyes in the rear. I am thinking my tires are 26"-ish. Appreciate the reply. My next move...