Is there a better way?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cribbs74

Reaction score
I am attempting to swap the pedal box from auto to manual. While the removal is straight forward, the access to the top bolt  that secures the top of the box to the dash area is exceedingly difficult to remove. I managed to do it, but I had to remove the dash facia and gauge pods to get to it. Did I miss something? Surely there must be a better way.

Ron

IMO, the dash top and gauges have to come out not only for better access, but far more light on the subject. Also and this has been gone over before, add a bearing kit to the clutch pedal shaft. I chose Mustang Steve's kit, but the Scott Drake one works as well. i.e. do everything to make shifting easier by reducing clutch linkage drag before you install it.

Back when I had my car apart for painting and a full engine bay clean up, I also was adding a power booster, so I took the column out too as well as the seat.

Just my thoughts on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the dash top and gauges have to come out not only for better access, but far more light on the subject. Also and this has been gone over before, add a bearing kit to the clutch pedal shaft. I chose Mustang Steve's kit, but the Scott Drake one works as well. i.e. do everything to make shifting easier by reducing clutch linkage drag before you install it.

Just my thoughts on it.
I too went with the bearing kit for the clutch pedal shaft.  Mine is Scott Drake.  I had to hammer the pedal box sides to get them flat/straight before the kit would fit. 

I too went with the bearing kit for the clutch pedal shaft.  Mine is Scott Drake.  I had to hammer the pedal box sides to get them flat/straight before the kit would fit. 
Yes, the sides of the bracket do have "draft" on them. On mine, I ground the bearing retainers (1 1/2" dia. pipe) to achieve alignment of the bearings. Saved the hammer work, but then I had a surface grinder at my disposal.

Glad to see I am not alone. Not sure if I am up for the bearing mod, luckily it’s able to be done  without removing the box, I think…

Glad to see I am not alone. Not sure if I am up for the bearing mod, luckily it’s able to be done  without removing the box, I think…
I can't be sure about he Scott Drake version, but regardless, it will be way easier to do it before you put that bracket in there. Bearings on this shaft make clutch pedal pressure much lighter. 

With my Centerforce II clutch, my wife could not push the clutch in before I made these mods. Now she can drive the car (if I let her!!)

This is just a stock pressure plate. I tried it out in the donor and pedal pressure was definitely doable for day to day. Of course this car will be for my son and I have been driving exclusively manual trans vehicles since before I had a license. What is easy for me might not equate to easy for him. Maybe I will look into it, but he is young so he could use some discomfort to toughen him up. ;)

I think it will really be a struggle to make the change without pulling the box.  There sure isn't much room up in there unless you have tiny hands and don't mind skinning up your wrists.

Of course with the bearing mod you don't have a choice since a little welding is necessary.

Back