Center console ashtray opens

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is the ashtray in the ashtray holder ? that is what keeps pressure on the lid to keep it closed.

I can recall this as a common problem.  Constantly sliding it closed.  Try wedging a folded piece of paper in one of the slots on the underside.  There used to be such things as matchbook covers that were used for all sorts of things (like setting points gap on the side of the road) beside striking a match.

Ashtray is in place. Nylon rails are in place. When I get a few minutes I'll take it all apart and see what's up. Will report back . . .

If you gently apply pressure to to gas pedal as the car rolls forward the ash tray cover won't slide open. So, obviously, the issue you are inquiring about involve two things. The first mechanical issue is the forces of gravity exerted on the lid and the second mechanical issue your ash tray lid  suffers from is called the "Hauling Ass Syndrome", which activates the aforementioned first issue causing it to slide violently open and is a very common problem most of the ash tray covers in our cars, suffer from. :rofl:

Back