Trunk painting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have a 71 and I think there were different process in N.J. cars compared to Michigan cars.
I have been told by some that the side marker lights and tail lights did not have spatter paint over spray on them but I do not know for sure. It would be difficult to keep from getting the spatter paint on the exterior if the lights were not mounted. This is my original 73 Mach 1 some of the pictures were made before I cleaned it up and some after. There is over spray on the tail lights, side marker lights, wire harness, the rubber plugs and the seal around the gas filler. There is some spatter paint over spray along the bottom edge of the fold down trap door also. Body color on the under side of trunk and showing in various places inside the trunk.
I have never found an exact match to the spatter paint. I was told that it was a water base paint with the spatter being oil so they did not mix together. I do not know for sure.
It was all sprayed by a human and several different ones so never the same on any two cars.

20210327_142411.jpg

DSC_0951.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG

DSC_0953.JPG

DSC_0954.JPG

DSC_0955.JPG

100_2222.JPG

100_2223.JPG

100_2224.JPG

I do not have a 71 and I think there were different process in N.J. cars compared to Michigan cars.
I have been told by some that the side marker lights and tail lights did not have spatter paint over spray on them but I do not know for sure. It would be difficult to keep from getting the spatter paint on the exterior if the lights were not mounted. This is my original 73 Mach 1 some of the pictures were made before I cleaned it up and some after. There is over spray on the tail lights, side marker lights, wire harness, the rubber plugs and the seal around the gas filler. There is some spatter paint over spray along the bottom edge of the fold down trap door also. Body color on the under side of trunk and showing in various places inside the trunk.
I have never found an exact match to the spatter paint. I was told that it was a water base paint with the spatter being oil so they did not mix together. I do not know for sure.
It was all sprayed by a human and several different ones so never the same on any two cars.

View attachment 54175

View attachment 54176

View attachment 54177

View attachment 54178

View attachment 54179

View attachment 54180

View attachment 54181

View attachment 54182

View attachment 54183
thanks a bunch, gives me sort of a baseline. 

I don't have too many pics of my 71's original trunk, but these might help. As I'm NOT into the concours scene, I used NPD's trunk splatter paint. Is it "correct", probably not, but it looks good to me and that's all I care about.

(Pics seen before in "let's see the junk in your trunk" post)

Before...... After pic to follow. And here they are, The flash makes the color look a bit lighter than it is. I may have got the darker splatter paint that NPD sold a few years ago. It was also matt clear coated for protection.

IMG_0541.1.JPG

IMG_0540.1.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back