CJ Ram Air Kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
It came in the mail today while I was installing the carpet in the interior. I do not have the ability to not open boxes when they get here. Its like Christmas in September. A couple things I noted. The air filter off of my old intake does not fit, what do I use? THe other thing is that the snorkle did not come with machine screws to install it on the body of the filter. THe ones on my existing intake do not fit. Whats up with that? I have 25 screws and 14 holes to put them in, whats up with that? No instructions other than the hose and its not readable. Again, whats up with that. Hey Steve, you have some splaining to do.

Ok, I installed the kit today. I have a few questions to ask but I have a photo procedure for the next guy to do the install as well. BTW it takes 2 people to get it started, do not try it by yourself. The language coming out of your mouth will be horrendous.

I had to have the kids help feed me screws to get the plenulum mounted while laying across the front end. Then I feed myself beer for the rest. Makes things easier with less cussing that way.

Yeah. The beer sooths the bruises a bit and yes, my wife told me to quit cussing. Them little holes in the under hood were hard to see. Did you figure that you had to remove the 8 machine screws to install the plenum properly? Thats why they send so many screws. I had to drill 2 holes to complete the job. Did you? BTW, what size bolt does the snorkle use. Oh and the other question, the EGR, which way does it go on as for the hoses? Thanks.

Yeah. The beer sooths the bruises a bit and yes, my wife told me to quit cussing. Them little holes in the under hood were hard to see. Did you figure that you had to remove the 8 machine screws to install the plenum properly? Thats why they send so many screws. I had to drill 2 holes to complete the job. Did you? BTW, what size bolt does the snorkle use. Oh and the other question, the EGR, which way does it go on as for the hoses? Thanks.
Didn't have to drill any holes, and it took a few days before I realized I needed to remove the machine screws as well. My kit came with 2 sheet metal screws for the snorkle, gold in color. I'm attaching pics showing the carbon canister, pcv intake and driver's side pcv outflow to EGR spacer on carb.

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0031.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

PICT0032.JPG

Was yours blue from the box? I did not get the screws and I have torn up both boxes and all screw bags looking for the screws. I spent over ahour going thru all of my spare screws looking for ones that would work. My problem with the egr is I do not know which hose goes on the plunger side of the EGR. Was your carb factory? I found that my edlebrock sits too high for the hood to close on the rubber. I have a 1" spacer between the carb and the edlebrock intake as well. I will have to pull that spacer. I wish there was a good way to measure this because I want something between the carb and the intake for heat reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you pull the spacer out and put the air cleaner back on (and you determine you can close the hood without interference) put a ball of tin foil on top of the air cleaner and gently close the hood. You can measure the thickness of the foil ball after it is squished by the hood. Try it in several different locations to determine the smallest dimension. Hopefully you will at least have room for a 1/4" fiber spacer.

I painted mine as soon as it arrived with heat resistant ford corporate blue spraypaint from Autozone. My carb is the original motorcraft 2100d with spacer, intake is stock as well. I think the hose you are looking for is a vacuum line, not the PCV hose off the breather cap on valve cover. Mustangunlimited and Autozone have vacuum diagrams online.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you pull the spacer out and put the air cleaner back on (and you determine you can close the hood without interference) put a ball of tin foil on top of the air cleaner and gently close the hood. You can measure the thickness of the foil ball after it is squished by the hood. Try it in several different locations to determine the smallest dimension. Hopefully you will at least have room for a 1/4" fiber spacer.
Yep. Looks like an expensive phenolic spacer is about to go on Ebay.

Well. Just checked with CJ and the bolts do not come with the snorkle. Then checked with Dynacorn and the bolts do not come with the snorkle and they do not know what size I need to get. I am going to Lowes and Home Depot today with my housing and finding a damn bolt if its the last thing I do.

Well Lowes did not have it. Ace did not have it. Home Depot did not have it so I got a self tapping 1/2" 10 bolt in stainless. I cannot believe I wasted 4 days on 2 freaking bolts. I could have drilled the damn things out and retapped them in one 10 minutes but I am so pissed, self tapping bolts will do.

We have a Fastnel distributor down the road that has been an excellent for my previous projects. You can look them up on line and they have always been very helpful.

I tried that. Both would start but not go any further then starting. One hole was bigger than the other, when I tried M4 in the holes one would screw in and the other would go right thru. When I tried M5 it would stick just like the size you mentioned.

OK, that little round thing that operates your flapper in your snorkle. I thought that was the EGR valve but someone here told me no. It has a bimetal flap in it and the free end has a plunger. Which end goes to the snorkle flapper?

Back