Questions for you C-4 guys?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
With Covid my 1973 vert just sat in the shop. I had couple guys come to look at parts last week so I got them to help me push it over to the lift. When we moved it big puddle of automatic transmission fluid on the floor.
The last time I drove it looked like I had a coolant leak at one of the connections on the water pump for the heater core. Turned out to be the thermostat housing and I got that done yesterday.
While at the parts store I got a rear seal for the C-4 but I think it is also leaking at the shifter. Yes this is a 351-C that did not come with a C-4 but the PO swapped out the FMX for a C-4 with shift kit. Works great just need to stop some of the dripping. The car sat for 27 years which is not good for seals.
Can I change the seal on the shifter without removing pan or transmission? I have never worked on automatic other than change fluid and filter.
I wanted to drive it to the Mustang Owner's Museum this weekend for the delayed Mustang Day celebration. Not going for all three days spent too much on travel already this year.

Headed to shop to put on lift and take a look at leaks.

Thanks for any suggestions or links to the repair.

Yep. It can be a pain getting the kickdown linkage and shifter linkage lined up in relation to the valve body, but is otherwise a pretty straightforward job.

If you know a veterinarian you might want to borrow a pair of their shoulder length rubber gloves and wear a rain coat and face shield. No matter how long you let it set and drip dry you'll still get rained on by fluid when you start removing screws and nuts on the valve body. 

Back