custom dash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
I had always had an idea of completely replacing my center dash insert around the stereo and ac/heat controls with a custom piece designed for an in dash a/v system with a touchscreen. Has anyone done any custom stereo work on the dash?

I haven't done it but I have researched making custom fiberglass parts. It's not difficult per se, but there is definately a learning curve. You could use your existing dash to make a rough negative then modify it into something you're looking for. Then you just make a mold out of it and then lay the glass to make your part. It's not exactly that easy but if you google "custom fiberglass auto parts" or something similar there are a bunch of tutorials.

I had always had an idea of completely replacing my center dash insert around the stereo and ac/heat controls with a custom piece designed for an in dash a/v system with a touchscreen. Has anyone done any custom stereo work on the dash?
At one time, NPD was selling a dashpiece pre-cut to fit a non-dual knob radio. If you don't mind a motorized flip out screen, that might be the way to go.

im going to do this soon... but i dont belve the motorized flip up screens will work by the way our dash is angled. i got an extra radio bezel off e-bay i cut up and made work great for a cd player install but yes you need to make one out of fiberglass or find an old one you can cut up and make work

Good info from all! Back when I was like 16 of course the most important thing in my interior was the stereo, so i bought a kenwood single din cd player and had it pro installed at circuit city back then. So this what I am working with now.

330d7yp.jpg

I am not keen on anything else in this interior, except the way the center dash bezel is customized. The only thing on it that I would change is move the screen down to allow for air vents and no need for the cd player, as the nav screen would be an all in one unit from alpine.

j794kn.jpg

Also, what do you guys think of carbon fiber accents on the interior. Found this stuff and am wondering about apps for it. Maybe the dash frame, the inserts on the deluxe door panels, and a small portion of the center console.

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/3m-carbon-fiber-di-noc-now-available-in-7-different-colors/

As always, thanks for your input and opinion guys, it helps!

I'm doing a test with integrating my iPad as main unit in my mach 1 -71. I have one laying around so I thought I'd give it a try. In the early days I was a stereo freak (who isn't at 18-20!?) so I have some experience with making custom parts out of plastic. It's going to be situated under/over the lower part of the dash at a 45 degree angle. I'm doing this by fabricating an aluminum huousing that connects with the center console and then using filler and bond to make it flow nicely. It will cover the ventilation controls but since it's going to be retractable through a slot in the side I figure it wouldn't hurt. My volume control will still be hooked up to the original stereo so I won't hack anything away. There is a connection kit available for just that.

The iPad will sit in an original dock tilted at an angle with digital output.

iPad --> connection kit --> JBL 1500w x1 + JBL 120w x4 --> 12" MTX subwoofer + 4"+1" Rockford Fosgate in front + 6 1/2" Alpine Reference 2-way in the rear.

Good thing that the iPhone connects via blutooth to the iPad and gives it internet for spotify and pandora. Doing this will also give me the availability to use the gps and accelerometer in the iPad as well as controlling it via Siri.

I haven't started yet but I'll posts some pics when I do! (winter project)

I'm doing a test with integrating my iPad as main unit in my mach 1 -71. I have one laying around so I thought I'd give it a try. In the early days I was a stereo freak (who isn't at 18-20!?) so I have some experience with making custom parts out of plastic. It's going to be situated under/over the lower part of the dash at a 45 degree angle. I'm doing this by fabricating an aluminum huousing that connects with the center console and then using filler and bond to make it flow nicely. It will cover the ventilation controls but since it's going to be retractable through a slot in the side I figure it wouldn't hurt. My volume control will still be hooked up to the original stereo so I won't hack anything away. There is a connection kit available for just that.

iPad --> connection kit --> JBL 1500w x1 + JBL 120w x4 --> 12" MTX subwoofer + 4"+1" Rockford Fosgate in front + 6 1/2" Alpine Reference 2-way in the rear.

Good thing that the iPhone connects via blutooth to the iPad and gives it internet for spotify and pandora. Doing this will also give me the availability to use the gps and accelerometer in the iPad as well as controlling it via Siri.

Any progress on this??? I'd love to see it! Sounds like a cool setup!

Maybe an iPod would take up less space? Its interesting concept. I'm worried about the wiring nightmare to modernize my interior and make it look clean the way I would be happy about it.

Any progress on this??? I'd love to see it! Sounds like a cool setup!
Hi, sorry that I have not updated this post and not provided you guys with pictures! I have been busy with other aspects of the car so the final touches have been "on hold" until now. I have bought a new iPad mini and started experimenting on the connections and the setup I'm going to go with right now is as follows:

Ipdad mini -->Dolry AirPlay-adapter -->Apple dock -->Amplifiers -->Speakers

This will give me the opportunity to use AirPlay from all my different devices as well as the usage of the apple remote in my car to change the tunes and songs. So far my testrun indoors seems to indicate a good setup. I like the thought of friends connecting to my car stereo when they are with me and the freedom to just use just about everything that can utilize AirPlay. When I get the car back from the paintshop I will begin with the installation of the gear.

Also, what do you guys think of carbon fiber accents on the interior. Found this stuff and am wondering about apps for it. Maybe the dash frame, the inserts on the deluxe door panels, and a small portion of the center console.

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/3m-carbon-fiber-di-noc-now-available-in-7-different-colors/

As always, thanks for your input and opinion guys, it helps!
I'm not big on the high gloss carbon fiber look personally, but I really like the Di-Noc stuff, you get a more organic carbon fiber feel I think because it really accents the "weave"

My 2012 GT/CS has carbon fiber accents on the dash, door panels, and seat inserts, it really is a killer look, fits the car well, and stays very tasteful. If you want I can snap some pictures. I may steal this idea from you though! As my center console the wood applique is pealing quite badly.

Back