Original door speakers were 4"x10", weren't they?  Of course, that's a very difficult size to find.  But then I got to thinking about what a 4"x10" would look like and then looked again at mine -- no way these are 4"x10".  Not originals, I'm guessing the nominal size is 6"x9".  And once I got up close and personal, I see the original speaker opening has been cut larger so I'm not sure I could mount 4"x10"s if I even found them.

Crutchfield has a Kicker brand 6"x9" as a pair for $199; that's about what I'm willing to pay, but I'm totally open to other suggestions.  I have not checked the depth requirement, but here's the link for the Cruthchfields:  https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20640PS692/Kicker-40PS692.html

73 Mustang passenger door speaker.JPG

I have posted several times. Here are pics of a NOS set of speakers. If you find the old speaker frames they can replace the cones done all the time. I just bought two doors last week that had door speakers and Power Windows difficult harness to find for sure.

20200804_162016 - Copy.jpg

20200804_162047 - Copy.jpg

20200804_162053 - Copy.jpg

20200804_162125 - Copy.jpg

20200804_162130 - Copy.jpg

20200804_162138 - Copy.jpg

DSC_1271 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1275 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1276 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1277 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Radio and speakers have been so far down on my list with other more essential repairs and replacements, but now because of a wait for parts I've been considering other things on the master list.  I have been following your posts, David, and they're only confirming that what I've got are not originals.  I have all the wiring and boots since the car came with door speakers (and power windows).  I hadn't thought about replacing cones on these non-original speakers but if I did score a "real" pair, I just might.

I do think I'll at least make a template for the original size then use that to see how much mine has been hacked.

Take a gander at Moosestang's photos; the door opening for the speaker is smooth and precise.  Then look at mine.  I know the photo isn't great but you can see it's jagged and rough and larger than it oughta be.  I need to pull the speakers and get better photos but dang it, I only have my driveway for shop space and it's 113 today.  Ugh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, RC92234 said:

Radio and speakers have been so far down on my list with other more essential repairs and replacements, but now because of a wait for parts I've been considering other things on the master list.  I have been following your posts, David, and they're only confirming that what I've got are not originals.  I have all the wiring and boots since the car came with door speakers (and power windows).  I hadn't thought about replacing cones on these non-original speakers but if I did score a "real" pair, I just might.

I do think I'll at least make a template for the original size then use that to see how much mine has been hacked.

Take a gander at Moosestang's photos; the door opening for the speaker is smooth and precise.  Then look at mine.  I know the photo isn't great but you can see it's jagged and rough and larger than it oughta be.  I need to pull the speakers and get better photos but dang it, I only have my driveway for shop space and it's 113 today.  Ugh.

The holes that Ford cut look to be using a hole saw to get the two ends and then cut the center out. Same for the wiring boot holes hole saw at the factory. Since the doors just came in one version with no speaker holes and no wiring holes and doors for coupe, vert and fastback all the same kept part numbers down. I got a pair of 72 Mack 1 doors couple weeks back that had PW and door speakers. Here is pic of the holes factory cut.

20210724_155734.jpg

20210724_161250.jpg

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

But!  That's a great fit --

Look at this post. I was able to fit 6x8 Kickers (Kickers 46CSC684) with some cutting. I have found that Retrosound speakers are generally low quality.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes