Clock issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
72 L-code Vert
So while my console is out. I thought I would see why my clock wasn't running.  Not too dirty, no burning,  no corrosion,  so I cleaned up a bit and applied some light oil.  It works!!!

IF it's lying on it's face. Ran for 24hrs face down and then only 5 minutes after placing in a "normal" position.  Hammer engaging every 50 seconds or so.

16279498264852896684315149597233.jpg

I wonder if its a lube thing -- they would have had a tiny amount of light machine oil spindles on some rotary parts. ... and as the years rock by that stuff can go sticky instead of slippery 

as the clock has 0.0000001 horsepower - it might not be able to over come its own mechanical impedances any more.... just needs a service . 

There's a good chance that it's wear on the winder gear shaft.  The shaft has spring tension on it and slowly wears it's mounting hole into a groove. The gear gets cockeyed and the clock stops.  Is there any wobble/play in the main gear that winds?  If not then you may get lucky and only need a good clean & lube. 

Update. Yesterday I sprayed some black on the bezel and shifter sections, decided to put it all back together. The clock gods must be looking upon me favorably, as it's been running 10 plus hours in the upright position!  Perhaps by me letting it run face-down for DAYS it either got the lubrication or whatever it needed. I also did pull a thin piece of emery through the points a couple of times. Points are making contact every approximately every 44 seconds. 

20210824_072228.jpg

20210824_072338.jpg

Still running, and has been doing so rather quickly (fast timekeeping).   Someone had posted instructions for adjustment, which I've been doing.  I've lost count of how many backwards time sweeps I've done thus far, but it is getting closer to being accurate.  

So while my console is out. I thought I would see why my clock wasn't running.  Not too dirty, no burning,  no corrosion,  so I cleaned up a bit and applied some light oil.  It works!!!

IF it's lying on it's face. Ran for 24hrs face down and then only 5 minutes after placing in a "normal" position.  Hammer engaging every 50 seconds or so.

View attachment 53658

The first time I put power on my clock it made a click which sounded like a relay kicking on. Since that, it doesn't click anymore when power is applied. Clock doesn't seem to do anything. It looks great on the inside but doesn't run.  What's the best way to start trying to get it running?

Be careful about leaving power to to it if it's not running.  If the points are closed I believe you'll overheat and burn the coils.

Here's what I did. Pulled the clockwork from the housing. Applied 12 volts. Immediately and very gently, rolled the gear shown in the pic using my finger.  It would run for a brief period, maybe one or two contact cycles, then stop.   If you're able to get it to work for brief periods,  I would start the cleaning process, lightly oil, very fine sandpaper on the points. 

Be careful not to over oil, and if you use quips to clean don't get fibers in the gears. 

I had to restart mine many times over a period of several days before it would run. I was constantly listening for the points "click".

Good luck. 

20210906_082710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still running, and has been doing so rather quickly (fast timekeeping).   Someone had posted instructions for adjustment, which I've been doing.  I've lost count of how many backwards time sweeps I've done thus far, but it is getting closer to being accurate.  
Got  link to the instructions for adjustment?

Where are the points that click? If you can, explain the principle by which the clock works.  I'm pretty lost. First time I've ever looked inside a clock. Lol

Back