Any idea what this wire/connector is for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the parking brake light was an option, so often times that plug won't be used.

And the parking brake light was an option, so often times that plug won't be used.
What light would it illuminate? 
I was thinking about getting the switch so I could plug it in, but I don’t have any indicators that I can see on my dash 

On a related question, would that wire control the Brake light indicator on a 73 that has the light in the cluster? or is that controlled by a different wire?

On a related question, would that wire control the Brake light indicator on a 73 that has the light in the cluster? or is that controlled by a different wire?
That is the parking brake on indicator lamp; the dash cluster lamp is the proportioning valve stuck out of alignment, indicating poor braking and a problem in the system.

That is the parking brake on indicator lamp; the dash cluster lamp is the proportioning valve stuck out of alignment, indicating poor braking and a problem in the system.
Ah, Okay, Thanks for clarifying! Did 73 have the parking Brake on indicator option or was that 71/72 specific?

Hello JimB73,

The park brake warning lamp was not available separately but was part of the Convenience Group option, available for all 71-73 Mustangs. It included trunk, glove compartment, map, underhood lamps, headlamps on warning buzzer, automatic seat back release, under instrument panel courtesy lamps (standard on verts), park brake warning lamp, and locking glovebox latch. This option was a lot of content in '73 for $45.53. 

The switch has changed part number several times over the years with F2UZ-15A851-A as the final version and is still available from Ford. I usually suggest Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply, but his site shows out of stock. You could also check with your favorite parts house by application or crossing the Ford part # to theirs. 

The illustration shows the switch location held in place by a #10-24 x 1" screw. The second hole is for the locator/anti-rotation stud.

15a851-f2uz-aa.jpg

15a851-f2uz-aaa.jpg

Hello JimB73,

The park brake warning lamp was not available separately but was part of the Convenience Group option, available for all 71-73 Mustangs. It included trunk, glove compartment, map, underhood lamps, headlamps on warning buzzer, automatic seat back release, under instrument panel courtesy lamps (standard on verts), park brake warning lamp, and locking glovebox latch. This option was a lot of content in '73 for $45.53. 
Great info, Thanks!!

Thanks very much for the picture. If I get the switch, is the rest of the wiring in place to where I'd only need to source and install a warning light? I'd like to see a light to remind me the parking brake is on?

JD.

The rest of the wiring is not in place.  This circuit is part of the Convenience Group, which adds a bunch of bells and whistles (well, buzzers and lights), like the map light, under dash lights, automatic seat back releases, parking brake warning,  glove box lock, trunk light (not part of the convenience group harness), and engine compartment light.  I'm sure I've probably missed something.  You can roll your own by following the wiring diagram if you just want the parking brake light.

Back