name that piece?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7mach1

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code
wondering if anyone knows the name of a rubber piece that sets under the top of the 1/4 panel (near the windshield)?

it loos like a plug to keep water out of the panel. 

A picture would help.

And, by the way, please go to the Introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car so we'll know who we're talking to and what car you have. We like pictures of Mustangs.

Sorry it takes a while to respond, work out of town too much. But it helps pay for my toy.

Anyway… here’s a pic of the above mentioned part (cracked in two pieces). It appears to be attached by a screw in top-right of photo, and two near the door hinges. (that’s the VIN tag corner in the bottom-right)

Looking for what it’s called or part number.

Thanks, john 

34B7441C-6C0A-40B4-8D31-B248B6F5EF9A.jpeg

Note: I noticed that I called it a 1/4 panel when I should have said fender. 
Rookie mistake, but hey, that’s me!

If I remember correctly those are a 71 only item.  This dude on ebay was remaking them a while back but they aren’t available at the moment. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254827475338#vi__app-cvip-panel

My 72 and 73 don’t have them; I don’t think they do much. That said, I did see these after a quick search.  They don’t look perfect, but it’s all I could find:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393508155497?hash=item5b9ee9f069:g:QPIAAOSwdHFhGDGq

I remembered a post about it from a while ago and found it:

Looks like they mention a site that (at least used to) 3D print them. 

I personally would just take them off if they aren’t able to be cleaned up, but I am far from a concourse sorta dude.

Hope that helps. 

Thanks for the quick reply Lazarus!

Its good to know what their called. And yes, the folks selling them sure are proud of ‘em. Will have to think about how much I need them since it’s a “drive it every chance I get” car. 

Hello John,
Those small plastic pieces at the upper rear of the fender are what Ford called a "Front Fender Filler." They were production installed until 6/1/71. After that date, the engineers decided they were no longer needed. The 71 Cougar also used the same piece, and they can be difficult to find since many of them have deteriorated over time and were not installed for the entire production year. Part number for the right side is D1ZZ-16570-A (ID# D1ZB-16570-AA,AB,AE) Left side D1ZZ-16571-A (ID# D1ZB-16571-AA,AB,AE). As you can see, there were three suffix number changes on the engineering number, but the part number never changed. For some reason, Ford continued to use a similar filler at the rear of the front fender for the 72-76 T-Birds.
As previously posted, there was a small run of these made and sold on E-Bay, but with an inflated price since the word "Boss" was used in the description. The used set for $60.00 + shipping is the cheapest I had seen any of these offered in quite some time. These rarely show up in any decent used condition.
As Don C posted, when you get a chance, please tell us some more about yourself and the plans you have for your '71.

Ford should have continued to use them. Given the length and weight of the hood and the flexibility of the hinges it was a good idea. Check you fenders at that location as to why. Chuck

Ford should have continued to use them. Given the length and weight of the hood and the flexibility of the hinges it was a good idea. Check you fenders at that location as to why. Chuck
You’re not kidding about that problem. I am very conscientious when opening or shutting the hood so it doesn’t skew left or right when the corner of the hood and fender are so close. If I let the hood wander a little left or right, they can touch and scrape.  Learned the hard way; that was the first blemish after my new paint.  Even though my hinges are in pretty good shape and my tolerances are correct...

Where mine want to touch I am not sure the guard would totally protect, but if they protrude a bit into the tolerance, they might help as you say. 

I have heard them called leaf guards - they keep debris from getting down into the area between the firewall and the fender.  I don't think they were intended to keep the hood from contacting the fenders.

Thanks for all the great info. Really glad I found this site. Keep up the great work!

Back