This sure is pretty....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets see- Premium Fuel at $3.97 per gallon x  20 gallon tank = $79.40.    20 gal /.5 gallon per mile = 40 miles per tank. $79.40 /40 = $1.98 per mile.  I'll take one.  :lollerz:

I wonder how much that Weber setup costs.
A4L_oblong_final.png

Coming from an English car background (Triumphs, MGs and Jags) my only thought is how do you keep the six carbs in synch. Quelle horreur!! 

Coming from an English car background (Triumphs, MGs and Jags) my only thought is how do you keep the six carbs in synch. Quelle horreur!! 
Unless this version is set up differently, the tri-power set-ups are usually progressive. You run on the center carb at lower speed and then the outer carbs kick in later.  A little different than running three SU's or Webers on a Jag...or four IDAs on a V8...or worse 6 DCNFs on a 12!

Unless this version is set up differently, the tri-power set-ups are usually progressive.
I would still assume there is a necessity to "balance"/synch the carbs so that there is a coordinated (and even) flow between the cylinders.  I was more commenting about the stacks, but I assume it applies to both (to a large degree).

Sorry, I was thinking 6 venturis (3 carbs). The other is four carb (8 venturis).  The tri-power is I think a single plane manifold and all carbs/venturis open into the same plenum area. Unlike the Weber type where each carb venturi feeds a single cylinder. Theoretically the tri-power is more forgiving of imbalance, but I would imagine it is important to get the outer carbs throttle plates fairly well synched or one end of the motor might pull harder than the other for a short time.

Someone else will more than I do about them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 3x2s on my first Hot Rod, 390, what a pita. Changed to single 4V, easier and significantly faster in 1/4 mile. IR setups look very cool but, Expensive and also a pita to tune.

So was yours progressive or did all the carbs open simultaneously?

That's what I thought. My dad had several 64-66 Thunderbirds and we had talked about putting the 'M' 3x2's on his 64 convertible. 

I did find this, though...interesting to see how many different Ford motors had 3x2s developed for them. Although, not necessarily by Ford. 

Not sure how old the website is, 

https://www.ford6vcarburetion.com/

Back