Mach 1 Hood Decal NOT Stencil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Some other Fords
Anyone know of a source for a full mat black decal for the Mach 1 hood?  I am not wanting to paint.  With the quality of today's vinyl wraps I was thinking a vinyl decal would be worth trying. 

As I recall a member from France posted up some pics of his car a while back with a decal and it looked really nice.  Thanks.

Hood area is way to big for a pre-cut. You will need to use 3M Knifeless tape and sheet vinyl.

I have been wrapping cars for a few years and have access to a cnc vinyl cutting bed. In theory you could make a precut hood decal since vinyl rolls come in 5 ft wide rolls, but there's quite a bit of testing/product development to get the dimensions and centering right on a kit like that since it's not a 100% flat surface. 

Its something I've thought about in the past - doing a precut vinyl kit for the hockey stick stripes and hood/trunk, but I haven't had a chance to start prototyping yet, and I don't know if the demand would be there.

If you do want to go the vinyl route, I think you could get excellent results with knifeless tape and a roll of 3M or Avery vinyl at a very reasonable material price ($100-150). The pinstripe would be the hardest part, but is doable with patience and careful planning with your knifeless tape. Make sure to get a good quality felt-edged squeegee as well.

Oops misread. Thought you were wanting to do the mach 1 hood decal and not a full hood blackout. Yeah you're gonna want to get some bulk vinyl and lay it on in 1 piece. Considerably easier.

Oops misread. Thought you were wanting to do the mach 1 hood decal and not a full hood blackout. Yeah you're gonna want to get some bulk vinyl and lay it on in 1 piece. Considerably easier.
No, you did not misread.  I am interested in doing the Mach 1 black hood accent, not wrapping the whole hood.

I did not know anything about knifeless tape.  The video posted by Horsin' Around was very educational.  I'll need to look into that idea.  Laying the tape using the available stencil is an idea for sure.  It does seem the pinstripe would be the hardest part.  Any pointers or instructional videos you could direct me to?

I found the post from the guy in France that had his hood done with vinyl:

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/33568-new-one/?tab=comments#comment-373682

No, you did not misread.  I am interested in doing the Mach 1 black hood accent, not wrapping the whole hood.

I did not know anything about knifeless tape.  The video posted by Horsin' Around was very educational.  I'll need to look into that idea.  Laying the tape using the available stencil is an idea for sure.  It does seem the pinstripe would be the hardest part.  Any pointers or instructional videos you could direct me to?

I found the post from the guy in France that had his hood done with vinyl:

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/33568-new-one/?tab=comments#comment-373682
Gotcha. The video horsing around is a good intro into knifeless tape. 

As for in-depth instructional videos, ckwraps on YouTube does a really good job. Here's a video showing how to do hood stripes step by step

If you search, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs (David) and 7173Vert, have posted the correct factory dimensions if you want it exact. 

Actually, this is an interesting idea, why not a wrap instead of painting, which often is not done correctly, then you're screwed as in my case. Repainting the hood is not a viable option because the body paint is almost impossible to match. BUT I could sand down the blackout at the edges and apply a wrap, no painting required! I do see how the 1/4" pin stripe would be the most difficult, but doable.

Back