No start 351C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryunker

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/fF5Ono][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dKMw7o/20180526_110612.jpg[/img][/url]
So car ran fine, parked it two years ago. Car was idling in spot, and it quit. Figured out of gas, so just covered it up. Fast forward few years, put gas in it, fired up and quit like 20 seconds later. Then cranks, tries to fire and just won't. Put in new plugs, started, quit then no start. New plugs wet with fuel. Coil was/is new few years ago, very little run time.

So whats next? Help.

The little bit of gas in the tank and carburetor may have turned into varnish.

You'll need to start with the basics, get an in-line spark plug tester from Harbor Freight, make sure you're getting good spark.

In-Line Spark Checker (harborfreight.com)

Make sure the points open and close when the distributor rotates, check the gap. Take the fuel line off the carburetor and collect some fuel in a container, see what it looks and smells like and if there is water in it. Check the fuel pressure and quantity you're getting from the fuel pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
The little bit of gas in the tank and carburetor may have turned into varnish.

You'll need to start with the basics, get an in-line spark plug tester from Harbor Freight, make sure you're getting good spark.

In-Line Spark Checker (harborfreight.com)

Make sure the points open and close when the distributor rotates, check the gap. Take the fuel line off the carburetor and collect some fuel in a container, see what it looks and smells like and if there is water in it. Check the fuel pressure and quantity you're getting from the fuel pump.
What is the gap?

The point gap depends on what distributor you have. The single vacuum advance distributor points should have a gap of 0.017", or a dwell of 26° to 31°. The point gap is measured when the rubbing block on the point contact arm is on the highest point of the distributor cam.

+1 with Don.     Have you verified that you are getting a good spark to the plugs and the timing is right?  I would verify one thing at a time.  You seem to be focus on a fuel issue since you posted another post asking about fuel pressure.     A simple way to eliminate if it's a fuel problem is to spray some starting fluid in the carb and see if it fires up.  If it does than I would see about getting the tank drain and some fresh gas put in.   Your tank will siphon if you pull the line from tank at the fuel pump or where the hose attaches at the steel line in the engine bay.    Might need to pull the carb also and do a good cleaning/rebuild if it is from stale fuel.    

+1 with Don.     Have you verified that you are getting a good spark to the plugs and the timing is right?  I would verify one thing at a time.  You seem to be focus on a fuel issue since you posted another post asking about fuel pressure.     A simple way to eliminate if it's a fuel problem is to spray some starting fluid in the carb and see if it fires up.  If it does than I would see about getting the tank drain and some fresh gas put in.   Your tank will siphon if you pull the line from tank at the fuel pump or where the hose attaches at the steel line in the engine bay.    Might need to pull the carb also and do a good cleaning/rebuild if it is from stale fuel.    
Problem is with spark "weak spark" made some progress yesterday, but  still not 100% cured.

Back